Forums are back in action! ×

So it's been three years since I visited these forums, and it's time I give this thing another shot.  Why?  Well, my health hasn't improved, which is bad enough, but now I'm staring down the barrel of my own wedding in January.  I've got just shy of six months, and while I know I'll never get town to an ideal weight (I'm a good hundred pounds away from that), I'd like to be in better shape by the time I walk down the aisle.  Partially for the photos, but also so I can enjoy the day to the fullest, and be more comfortable on the plane for the honeymoon.

So here I am, I'm gonna give it another shot.  I need to get my diet under control, I need to move around more.  I've got a heavy bag in the garage, Pokemon Go on my phone, and a few other tools at my disposal.  The rest of it is all willpower.  For now, I'm going to focus on reducing sweets (which are a problem) and breads (also a problem), and getting my body moving in whatever way I can fit into my day.  

I'm not sure I'm going to do the same thing I did last time, jumping into a six-week fitness challenge the way I did.  I've got a habit of setting myself up for failure in the pursuit of fast results, but that never works so I need to make an effort to change the outcome.  

It's time to stop thinking about it.

14 hours ago, RandMart said:

Congratulations and have a great day! I'm sure you'll look great!!!

A way to make something work, is to know ahead of time what doesn't, so you're in good position here

Look at your past results/failures, and see if you can pinpoint exactly where you went wrong, and adjust accordingly: was your goal a little out of reach? Set something more reasonable; was your timeline too slack and you lost interest along the way? Be a little more aggressive

I find that just setting a goal and and end date, often leads to frustration and ultimately, failure. However, breaking it up into smaller chunks offers you opporunities to course-correct if you get behind, or celebrations when you get ahead

Something like that

I appreciate the words of encouragement and understanding.  Another thing I'm noticing that really hinders my progress is stress.  When I get stressed out, I make really impulsive decisions when it comes to food.  I'll either actively get myself a coke and some Hostess cupcakes because "screw it", or I'll stop to get gas and a drink with the intent of picking up a bottle or water or something but end up walking out with a coke and some candy without thinking.  

I become stressed pretty easily too, which doesn't help.