Forums are back in action! ×

To-do list says "Create NF account; post welcome message"

To-do list also says "You have postponed this twice already so DO IT NOW!". Allright, here we go.

*cough*

Hi there, I'm Rik Schreurs. I'm in my late 30's, I live in the Netherlands and I have a job in IT.

I am currently going through a major reboot of my life. I have been working on my health a bit for many years (fitness + jujutsu), but I have always had trouble staying motivated.

About a year ago, something clicked. I realised that I could either carry on this way and be mediocre and unhappy for the rest of my life, or I could take control and work to be the best possible version of myself. I have strived for that since then, with varying levels of success.

I found nerdfitness.com via a blog post referred to by lifehacker.com:

Rey from Star Wars Deadlifted 176 Pounds. How Does that Make You Feel?

This thing, this comparing yourself to others and the fear of not measuring up, has been a huge part of my life for as long as I can remember. I have always been bullied in school. I was always the weakest, most clumsy kid, unable to do anything sports related. And my former classmates made sure to regularly remind me of that. Those voices from the past still bother me sometimes, but that Daisy Ridley blog post, along with other articles I have read on NF since, have made me aware that I'm not the only one who has this problem and that it can be overcome.

Since then, I've been mostly lurking around the site, reading many useful and inspiring articles. Collecting underpants. Until late June this year, when I randomly ended up on the Camp Nerd Fitness page. I had seen mentions of the camp before in some of the blog posts, but had dismissed it as being too far away, having too many strangers, too scary and complicated to arrange travel for, and probably sold out already. But not only was it not sold out, it looked super fun! Despite all the perceived problems and scary things, I knew I would hate myself if I didn't go. So I signed up. I still can't believe that this is a thing that's going to be a thing! But I signed up, booked the flight and everything and there is no going back now :)

So that's (part of) my story. Thanks for reading, and I look forward to meeting some of you at camp!