Forums are back in action! ×

Does this sound good for the upcoming challenge? (Exercise Routine Question)

If this is in the wrong section, please let me know and I'll change/delete this and move it to the appropriate section.

I decided to post this because I really need someone's help with this. As this will be my first fitness challenge, and my start to trying to get fit and health again, I'm new to all this. I built this exercise regimen from several sources, but I don't know if it'll be good (or if I'm exercising my entire body). Quite frankly, I'm completely new to the task of building my own exercise routine, so I could use some advice. So here it is.

I wanted the routine to last anywhere from fifteen to twenty minutes, depending on the amount of reps and sets I do. I will modify both of those values depending on how much I can handle when put into practice, but mainly I wanted to know what you guys thought about the entire routine. I will also be participating in the Couch-to-5k challenge during the six weeks.

With that in mind, is there anything I should change? Should I try to do this routine everyday (or more than two) instead of just Tuesday/Thursday?

[TABLE=width: 700]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

VIRHEILM, LEVEL 1 HUMAN ADVENTURER

"A year from now you will wish you had started today." ~ Karen Lamb

[TD=align: center]

ATTRIBUTES

STRENGTH: 2

DEXTERITY: 2

STAMINA: 2

CONSTITUTION: 3

WISDOM: 3

CHARISMA: 3

[/TD]

[TD=align: center][/TD]

[/TABLE]

glad you're joining the challenge! this sounds like quite a lot of exercises. alot of folks recommend leaving out some of the more isolation movements (like crunches and tricep extensions) becuase those muscles get worked with alot of the more compound movements. but since youre just starting out, i don't see anything wrong with giving this try. as for the reps, you might want to consider doing fewer reps but with higher weights. there's a program i first heard about through this site that i started a couple weeks ago called stronglifts 5x5. i haven't been doing it long enough to really give you much of an opinion but i will say that, only doing 5 reps with a heavier weight makes me feel like i worked just as hard as 12 reps with a lighter weight...and in less time (which might be good since you're doing lots of different exercises.

how many days are you planning to train for c25k? i'd say you should stay at about 5 days of workouts per week...much more won't give you enough time to recover. just make sure to at least get 3 workouts a week.

hope this helps - glad you're here!

Thanks for the advice! I'll try experimenting with my repetitions over the course of the first week to see which works better for me. As for the C25K, it requires three days per week, with the workouts around 20-30 minutes per day. So I was thinking of doing that on Monday/Wednesday/Friday, then working out with the above routine on Tuesday/Thursday (unless I should be trying to incorporate it into more than just two days per week). So it would be five days, then my two-day rest period would be Saturday and Sunday -- unless that is too long.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ATTRIBUTES

[/TD]

[/TABLE]

My husband and I lift Monday/Wednesday/Friday and do cardio (right now running, but heavy bag work is being discussed) Tues/Thursday. I would get up and run on Saturdays too, but hubby tends to pin me to the mattress with his hand over my mouth when I mention "running" on a Saturday morning, so it hasn't happened yet.

I'm sure he's keeping me from either injuring myself or burning out, but a nice round 3 days strength/3 days cardio would make me happy.

The old believe everything; the middle aged suspect everything: the young know everything.

~Oscar Wilde

Quickly a few points...

-You are never going to complete that workout in 20 minutes. Well, only if you absolute fly through them with no rest and in all an use such a small amount of weight to make the weights workout a bit pointless.

-Too many exercises, particularly for the upper body. You can cut a bunch of those out.

Why not go and start on the beginners body weight program here?

"I lift heavy things. Sometimes these things are people."

I guess I should have worded my original post more clearly, and I apologize for that. When I talked about the exercise being fifteen to twenty minutes, I meant that I wanted something that was at least that long, not less. If it takes longer than twenty minutes, then that's fine too because I have the time for it.

That being said, what would you recommend that I remove from the routine? (If anything now that that was clarified.)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ATTRIBUTES

[/TD]

[/TABLE]

I think should do either Stronglifts or Starting Strength. As a beginning lifter, there is no reason to risk your form by including a lot of exercises. If you're just starting out, keep to the squat, the deadlift, the bench press, the overhead press and weighted chinups/pullups.

Quare? Quod vita mea non tua est.

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Sixteen or just plain 161803398874989.

Your routine looks kinda chest/shoulder-heavy. I'd stick with the basics (bench press and overhead press) and let the others go for now. Otherwise, it looks like a solid plan.

Just make sure you're using good form and the right amount of weight and you'll be all set.

Never think of pain or danger or enemies a moment longer than is necessary to fight them. -Ayn Rand

Amongst those less skilled you can see all this energy escaping through contorted faces, gritted teeth and tight shoulders that consume huge

amounts of effort but contribute nothing to achieving the task.

Look at a few basic full body routines.

All have at least 3 exercises:

One for legs

One for upper body push

One for upper body pull

It is rare to see a weightroom based full body routine with more than 6 exercises. With bodyweight and/or a very limited selection of weights, you might need to do do more exercises but less sets of each, with multiple exercises that are a variant on a theme due to issues with difficulty (there isn't this encumbrance in a weight room with a full set of weights).

I personally think the convict conditioning full body split is the best, whether or not you do the exercises or just one from that split:

Legs (squat)

Upper Body Horizontal Push (Pushup/bench/(dip))

Upper Body Vertical Push (Overhead Press/handstand pushup)

Upper body pull (Pullup/row)

Core Front (leg lifts/crunches/planks)

Core/Legs Back (bridges/thrusts/deadlifts)

Your routine looks like it will take way too long. 45 minutes-60 minutes should be as long as it takes or your last few exercises won't be very productive.

Flys aren't necessary unless you are doing a close grip bench (emphasizing triceps). Given the overhead press and the bench press, extensions are totally necessary. Pullups/chinups can take the place of the lat raises, rows, and curls. Curls are largely a waste of time.

Crunches suck. At least the standard ones. This isn't to say that ab exercises suck, but crunches in particular are a weak and pitiful exercise. If you want to do a crunch-like exercise do bicycles instead, they hit your abs much harder. Crunches fast turn into an exercise of ab endurance, and if you want to do that plank instead, planks have a lot more carryover to other exercises (holding your body like that in an ab contracted state is a component of many exercises).

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

I see that most people are recommending that I stick with the basics such as the bench press, the deadlift, etc. And while I'd definitely do these if I could, the only resources I have available to me are my dumbbells and my body. And maybe other things around the house, if I can utilize them. The nearest gym that has all of that equipment is 50 minutes away (I live out in the middle of Nowhere) -- so I'm trying to build a workout routine that can conform around that specific set of resources.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ATTRIBUTES

[/TD]

[/TABLE]

I see that most people are recommending that I stick with the basics such as the bench press, the deadlift, etc. And while I'd definitely do these if I could, the only resources I have available to me are my dumbbells and my body. And maybe other things around the house, if I can utilize them. The nearest gym that has all of that equipment is 50 minutes away (I live out in the middle of Nowhere) -- so I'm trying to build a workout routine that can conform around that specific set of resources.

I'd suggest getting a pull-up bar that can be mounted in/around a doorway. That lets you do pushups for your upper body push, pull-ups/chin-ups for an upper body pull, and you can probably start with some bodyweight squats for your leg work, moving to single-leg/pistol squats as you get stronger. This should get you a pretty good start to strength work with minimal equipment investment, no trip to the gym required.

"Restlessness is discontent - and discontent is the first necessity of progress. Show me a thoroughly satisfied man-and I will show you a failure." -Thomas Edison

I think if you do four sets of all of the exercises you have listed that workout will take at least an hour and a half. Which is fine if you have that much time; I sometimes like to lift for that long and do a bunch of random things to supplement the main lifts I'm doing that day.

But for other ideas: All dumbbells! All the time!

There are more workout ideas at the same site: split routines and full body workouts and ideas if you're short on equipment or time.

You can do barbell exercises with dumbbells, though the form will be different and you won't be able to lift as heavy. But if you're just starting out that's not really a problem.

Also, here's a workout using body weight exercises and using whatever equipment you can find.

I have the exact same equipment as you exact add a door mounted pullup bar ($20, available everywhere), a big exercise ball, and a few sturdy diner chairs.

What I do for each category:

Legs - Bodyweight Squats -> Dumbbell Squats (shoulders) -> Jump Bodyweight Squats (don't overdo these) -> Bulgarian Split Squat (dumbbell) -> One leg box squats (w/chair) -> Pistol Squat

Horiz Push - DB Bench Press -> Pushups -> Decline Pushups -> Diamond Pushups -> Uneven Pushups -> Incline One Arm Pushups -> One Arm Pushups

Vert Push - Overhead DB Press (seated or standing) -> Wall Handstand -> Partial Headstand Pushups (at wall) -> Headstand Pushups (at wall) -> Handstand Pushups (hands on objects slightly taller than head)

Pull - DB Rows -> Chair Assist Pullups -> Chin Ups -> Pull Ups

Abs - Planks, Bicycle Crunch -> Hanging Leg Lifts

Back - DB Straight Leg Deadlifts -> Low Bridge -> Straight Bridge -> DB Hip Thrust (weighted low bridge) -> Full Bridge -> Stand 2 Stand Bridge

Each exercise down a line is harder than the one before. I can't do all of the end exercises yet, it is what I'm working towards. You could do a DB 1 leg straight leg deadlift, I do not like that exercise at all and prefer bridging. My big exercise ball is my bench. I do DB flys at the end of my workout when most/all of my pushups are tricep focused pushups. The next piece of equipment I'm going to get is a weight vest. I'm going to work dips on chairs in with the pushups, but I hurt my shoulder a little doing them so I'm taking my time getting back to them.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

Horiz Push - DB Bench Press -> Pushups -> Decline Pushups -> Diamond Pushups -> Uneven Pushups -> Incline One Arm Pushups -> One Arm Pushups

I like the way you think, Waldo, though I think lever pushups can be used as well, between uneven and incline. Oh well, more ways to Rome, right?

Do what Waldo says, he is a smart man. I'd also add a front lever or back lever progression (tuck, tuck with flat back, straddle, half lay/one leg, full) and some thing with L-sits/V-sits/Manna to balance out your shoulders if you're going to get serious.

Quare? Quod vita mea non tua est.

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Sixteen or just plain 161803398874989.