Forums are back in action! ×

Stretching

Anybody got a link or a book for a simple solid stretch routine? I need something particiularly for my posterior chain. I have a few books etc but it becomes a bit mix and match to get what I need out of it, so I was hoping one of my fellow nerds knew of something that's effective without being time consuming?

This is doubly i mportant as I'm getting a free weights workout plan organised this week and need to start getting more flexible, though from some of what I've read the weights themselves will help with that....

If you need something for the posterior chain, pike and straddle stretches and their active companions are good. Also, deep squatting with heavy weight should loosen up those hamstrings.

A good idea would be to just list everything you want to improve on flexibility wise and find stretches for it. You can post it here for additional input.

Quare? Quod vita mea non tua est.

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Sixteen or just plain 161803398874989.

Does BpPrimes MOBing fit the bill? I know he is very focused on it.

I stretch a lot and the hamstring especially responds not only the counter contraction of the quads to really losen it up, but using an isolation ball (lax ball for me, but a tennis ball works good too) to find your specific release points and open them up. You have to work VERY slowly doing this or you get the girl giggles, but it can be done and really helps. Most of my stretching has been developed through Yoga position modifications (downward dog is a great one) and old ballet stretches. Since most folks do not think stretching is just as important as flexion (I definitely do) there are few really good books on it except for physical therapist use. Best of luck!

The real world is bizarre enough for me....Blue Oyster Cult!

Oystergirl: Bad Assed Lightcaster (aka wizard!)

STR: 2 | DEX: 3 | CON: 3 | STA: 2 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 5

Oystergirl's Bad Ass Lightcaster Wicked Rocking Adventure Challenge!

Come visit my wicked rocking Nerd Fitness blog!

Actually yeah it does Oyster girl, some of it anyway, haven't looked at all of it too thoroughly yet. Thanks :)

Waldo, I've been trying that, problem is figuring out which stretch's are working best in which combination. I do tend to over think things though......

And Pi, well, I looked at those and no, they hurt like hell when I try them.... But literally my whole posterior chain, calves, hams, glutes, lower back etc. I've had too much damage done to me over the years...... :( I guess it's a case of keep trying till I figure it out.

Actually yeah it does Oyster girl, some of it anyway, haven't looked at all of it too thoroughly yet. Thanks :)

Waldo, I've been trying that, problem is figuring out which stretch's are working best in which combination. I do tend to over think things though......

And Pi, well, I looked at those and no, they hurt like hell when I try them.... But literally my whole posterior chain, calves, hams, glutes, lower back etc. I've had too much damage done to me over the years...... :( I guess it's a case of keep trying till I figure it out.

You don't have to go all the way at your first attempt; that's impossible for most people. You should stretch to a point where there's mild discomfort and hold there, for like 3 rounds of 30-40 seconds. Next time, you try to get a little further in and hold the same amount of time.

Quare? Quod vita mea non tua est.

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Sixteen or just plain 161803398874989.