Forums are back in action! ×

Anti-Fragile Mindset! Woot!

Hihi!

I entered into an anti-fragile mindset without even realizing it.

So, it's break time and I'm having a slice of key lime pie, talking with a co-worker about how we're all going to have to move locations if we want to keep out jobs without becoming registered inspectors for the an insurance company.

Now, I've gone to this second location twice. I'm pushing 40, morbidly obese and am a generally lazy person over all. However, the complaints about having to walk from the parking lot and up some shallow stairs really bothered me. I had believed myself as pretty fragile and if I had a car, the parking lot walk and those shallow stairs would be nothing, just as natural as breathing. Maybe, if I didn't take the bus everywhere I had to go and walk 20 min to and from work everyday to get to the bus stop, I very well may be one of my many coworkers who are going to quit this easy peasy job over a flight of gradual stairs...

When she asked me my opinion, I did something rare. I dropped the "professional" façade and simply stated "As large and old as I am, I hope I never become so weak as to be put off by a parking lot and a single flight of low stairs. I'm getting back into this program that's all about being Anti-Fragile and to be honest, if you want to be happy, you have to be proud of who you are. That's why I'm not happy, I'm a sloven mess."

In the midst of shocked stares and blinks, I realized my Big Why (Mindset Quest 3: Find Your BIG Why). Being physically weak is simply not acceptable anymore. I've been accused from time to time of being a meta-gamer or a min/maxer. I remember responding with "Look, if your f'n character dies, it's not going to be because mine wasn't powerful enough to do her f'n job! It's our responsibility to keep each other alive by not being weak or making others take up the slack! Know your f'n role!" How can I have a mindset like that where character creation is concerned... and not apply it to myself?

I blame it on always having a strong and distinct line between fantasy and reality. Up until this point it has always been a merit... but now I see the flaw in it. It's difficult for me to un-compartmentalize and use useful insights and outlooks from the fantasy aspect of my mind and apply it to rl. But... since I've joined NF, it's been easier to get my head into the healthy space it needs to be for success. Thanks Guys! 

• Like 2