Forums are back in action! ×

Questions about Chromium and BCAAs

I was reading Muscle and Fitness Hers and they said that Chromium Picolinate can blunt hunger and carb cravings for those on a low carb diet (which I am on). Are there any dangers I should be aware of about this? I'm already taking a multivitamin but I thought it might help.

They also said that I should put BCAAs in my morning protein shakes. Is this just a money ploy or is this something I should actually look into? I'm doing starting strength but am trying to lose weight.

Thanks.

BCAAs are readily available in real foods, so I'd recommend starting there. All your basic proteins (red meat, poultry, eggs, dairy) contain them, and if you're getting sufficient protein from food, you should be all set. Try that out for a little bit, and if you're still not seeing/feeling the gains you want, start playing around with supplements. Still, there are a good number of people on here and elsewhere who show great progress without tons of non-food protein added in, so it's entirely possible.

Not sure about chromium, but I like a nice spoonful of almond butter to stomp cravings. It works on all of 'em.

Never think of pain or danger or enemies a moment longer than is necessary to fight them. -Ayn Rand

Amongst those less skilled you can see all this energy escaping through contorted faces, gritted teeth and tight shoulders that consume huge

amounts of effort but contribute nothing to achieving the task.

Chromium is over-rated and over-priced for what it's proposed to do for you. Unless you have a deficiency, and/or are diabetic, don't bother.

BCAA's are good under the right conditions, such as a lean athlete trying to get leaner by doing IF and fasted training. Not so much for a beginner, even less so if you still carry a fair amount of body fat.

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!