Forums are back in action! ×

Beginners Bodyweight Progress

Basically, I'm not sure how to move forward my BB Circuits. :dispirited:

I manage to get to the gym twice a week and I'm one of those that just can't train/work out at home. I'm doing the BB Circuits both times (with some Convict Conditioning shoved in at the beginning) but I'm not sure exactly HOW I should be increasing the workouts.

Do I add weights to my routine? i.e. a 2kg weight in each arm for a couple of weeks then up to 4kg, etc.

Do I add reps to my circuit? If so, at what point do I stop?

Do I add an extra circuit?

Really not sure where to go from here. Doing the basic workout for three circuits (and little rest inbetween) is leaving me in a sweaty, heaving mess every time (so I'm getting a good workout) and I'm struggling to figure out what to do now.

Help me Nerd Fitness, you're my only hope.

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

MrParsnip the level 0 Fremen
Current challenge

I do that workout. I basically do 3 sets. I am so far increasing the reps and timing myself through all three circuits. I am also not resting between circuits anymore unless I really need it. I am not strong enough yet to go on to the advanced circuit so this is what I am doing. It's working so far. My fiance says she has noticed a change in my arms and shoulders.

Check out my woodworking at peonywoodworks.

Thanks guys.

I've tried upping the reps just this last week and I guess it's probably the best way to go. I already rest as little as possible in between circuits I guess when I'm doing a ton of reps but it's taking too long, I'll go back to fewer reps but throw weights into the mix.

The workout is:

20 squats

10 press-ups

20 lunges

10 barbell rows (per arm)

30 second plank

30 jumping jacks.

My best idea is to do the above, then add 2 to each for the 2nd and 3rd circuits one week then use the increased level as the base (first) workout the next week.

Thanks guys.

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Current challenge

If you're looking to increase the difficulty of a bodyweight workout, the answer lies with changing your body's leverage rather than just upping the number of reps or adding extra circuits. I think some people above said something similar about switching to 'harder' versions of a movement - IE, going from pushups to planche pushups, or what have you (obviously you wouldn't make that big a jump in difficulty but you get the gist of it).

"Oh while I live, to be the ruler of life, not a slave, to meet life as a powerful conqueror, and nothing exterior to me will ever take command of me." - Walt Whitman

Wake up...

!

I think some people above said something similar about switching to 'harder' versions of a movement - IE' date=' going from pushups to planche pushups, or what have you (obviously you wouldn't make that big a jump in difficulty but you get the gist of it).[/quote']

LOL.....just a bit of a step.

It really comes down to goals. What are yours?

Strength conditioning/cardio? Do more reps and circuits.

Strength? Do harder exercises that you can only do a few reps of.

Bulk? It will be a side effect of working for strength, the bodyweight steps are bigger and you'll have to spend time in the hypertrophy band before you can move up to the next exercise.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

Thanks guys, that's all helpful stuff. :)

Cheers.

Current challenge

I'm still doing the beginner bodyweight routine, but I've added a dumbbell to my squats and lunges, I've been increasing the weight on the dumbbell rows, and extending the length of my planks. Here's what I'm doing now:

20 squats with 15 lb dumbbell (I had this on hand from when I went to upgrade from 15 lb to 20 lb, but I lost the receipt so didn't try to exchange it).

10 push ups - I'm still working on getting to where I can do all of these as full push ups. Right now I can do about 3 full pushups and the rest on my knees.

20 lunges with 15 lb dumbbell

9 dumbbell rows with 25 lb dumbbell (I could only do 8 when I went from a 20 lb dumbbell to a 25 lb one)

60 second plank with arms straight (I believe switching to arms straight planks helped me to achieve my first real push up)

30 jumping jacks

That's kind of how I'm working on leveling up my BB routine. I'm nowhere near ready for the Advanced one yet, but I can keep improving this one.