Forums are back in action! ×

Frosty in the Desert

Greetings!

Wanting desperately to gain strength but Bored to Agonizing Death by repetitive strength excercises (Ackpthg! Kryptonite!) I stumbeled across this site. As a mature woman/girl going on 7, I look forward to connecting with you guys in here!

I grew up in the woods of Norway among pine trees, mosquitoes and wild berries. Decided 3 years ago to seek the shore (or beach, if you will) of California. An adventure I am enjoying, though not without challenges that are affecting my body in a not-so-desirable way. Food is delicious - too delicious. And frighteningly processed. As a self-proclaimed Fast Food Junkie and not a very good cook...well, you can imagine...

I do enjoy being active (when I can get off my lazy bum). I love hiking in nature, surrounded by trees, rocks and the occasional glimpse of a shy animal. But how does a poor creature from the Bitter Cold North stay active in 80 degree weather?? (I am NOT complaining! After all, I did come here to get away from the cold...) I have gone to a training center a couple of months now, where the traines are doing a tremendously good job with me once a week (So good, in fact that I suspect that at least one of them used to work in the Dungeons of the Spanish Inquisition in a previous life...), but I do have to be careful not to look directly at them, as I fear I will shed blood by the daggers of my gaze...

Is there a better way to get in shape on an abysmally low budget? I used to hike, I used to dance. I used to be able to do cartwheels and the split. Now, I am exited to see where this NerdFitness Adventure will take me...

Welcome!  If you liked cartwheels you might like some of the programs at https://gmb.io/  , they have some free mini workouts and some paid ones, lots of gymnastic combined with strength stuff. Another idea is http://darebee.com/ they are bodyweight strength stuff, but mix it up in a fun way. I like kettlebells, and do the program from a book called Simple and SInister. Or you could do weight lifting. Try some different things and see if something lights your fire.

• Like 2

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

1 hour ago, Elastigirl said:

Welcome!  If you liked cartwheels you might like some of the programs at https://gmb.io/  

Thank you, Elastigirl! Wow, this looks really fun and right up my alley! In addition to This forum, I'm thinking I might actually make some good progress in this whole getting-in-shape-thing. Yay!

1 hour ago, NiederBreatheEasy said:

Welcome :) I'm a newbie too and live in the land of the most delicious food in the US.... The south of course. However I am having terrible side affects from years of eating crappy food. I hope we can get it together!

NiederBreatheEasy, I hear delicious, mouthwatering things about Southern Cooking, and its side effects... I don't believe in cutting the crap 100%, I know my life would be very sad if I have to skip pasta and cheese forever, but a drastic reduction (over time) will probably only do us some good. Not to mention open our tastebuds (and arteries) to new and exiting foods that we never thought we'd enjoy. I'm sure we'll make it! :) 

• Like 2
NiederBreatheEasy, I hear delicious, mouthwatering things about Southern Cooking, and its side effects... I don't believe in cutting the crap 100%, I know my life would be very sad if I have to skip pasta and cheese forever, but a drastic reduction (over time) will probably only do us some good. Not to mention open our tastebuds (and arteries) to new and exiting foods that we never thought we'd enjoy. I'm sure we'll make it! [emoji4] 

So far I've been able to cut everything but I kind of have to do the cold turkey thing! I plan on easing back into some delicious food a little later after I get in a routine of not eating bad things [emoji1] at least cheese.... Man I miss cream cheese....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

36 minutes ago, NiederBreatheEasy said:

So far I've been able to cut everything but I kind of have to do the cold turkey thing! I plan on easing back into some delicious food a little later after I get in a routine of not eating bad things emoji1.png at least cheese.... Man I miss cream cheese...

Wow, if you are able to do the cold turkey thing, then power to ya, girl! The only thing I've ever been able to do cold turkey is to...well, eat it. So until the next 4 Week Challenge starts, I'm working on habit building, taking small steps and celebrating the victories. 

Wow, if you are able to do the cold turkey thing, then power to ya, girl! The only thing I've ever been able to do cold turkey is to...well, eat it. So until the next 4 Week Challenge starts, I'm working on habit building, taking small steps and celebrating the victories. 

Nothing wrong with that! I just hate counting calories and trying to figure out how much of what I can eat. Too much work. Paleo is KISS for me. I still have to learn to work out [emoji31] Hate it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk