Forums are back in action! ×

Hey, guys. I've checked out NF a couple times, but never got past reading a couple articles. Having recently moved to Washington state from Kansas, I'm feeling kind of alone with myself (when my husband is at work, at least) and I have a tendency to be my own worst enemy. I think things will get a bit better once I get hired (which takes forever anymore, man), but for now, I was hoping for some online companionship to help keep me grounded and motivated.

I actually got myself into eating well and exercising about a year and a half ago and lost about 30 lbs, but I'd like to lose 20-30 more, as well as put on some more muscle. I actually enjoy exercise (when I get myself to do it) and if I have something fun to do outside, I can go all day. I also like weight-lifting and have a set of 10 and 20 pound dumbbells at home to work with. I've gotten into doing a little yoga at home and I like how it makes me feel, but I fear I'm not doing the poses properly. As for the diet portion, I'm not the best eater. I used to eat waaaay too much pizza, but several months ago I must have developed some kind of milk protein intolerance or something, cause now dairy jacks me up. So that area of debauchery is gone, but there's still baked goods to contend with. I like vegetables, it's just a matter of them being prepared properly, and that's just something I'm going to have to learn to do. I also don't have much money, so gym memberships and certain pricey healthfoods are out. I plan to put together a good, simple workout plan and find some healthy meals I like that I can reliably rotate through without getting burned out on. And hopefully I can get my husband to do it, too.

As for non-fitness stuff, I'm 27 years old and was born in northeast Kansas and have lived there until about a month ago. I attended Kansas State University and got my Bachelor's in Biodiversity and Conservation Biology in 2013. So far my wildlife career has been centered mostly around the study of insects, but my real dream is to work closely with mammals, specifically carnivores and even more specifically, cats of any kind. I've been a cat person since before I can actually remember, though I do very much like dogs, too. I currently have two cats: a 16 year old gray tabby female named Crybaby who has been my constant companion and I could go on and on about (but I wont), and a 9 year old gray piebald tabby male named Bodi who jackknifes between sweetheart and holy terror but is still my giant buddy. I've been married to my best friend from high school since 2008, and we do everything together. He got me into gaming, and now I play way too many video games. I'm also an artist, with my favorite subjects being cats, of course (I drew the Khajiit icon I'm using here on the boards). I enjoy pencil drawing and digital work with a tablet.

I'm pretty socially awkward, but that's something I hope to work on more, so please feel free to message me anytime (is that even a thing here?) and talk! 

TL;DR: Some nerd trying to lose weight.

Welcome

Sounds like you have a pretty solid plan for how to approach things.  I'm not sure on the dumbbell workouts (although I am sure there are many others here who can help you with that, I'm personally more used to barbells).  There are plenty of good recipes floating around here that I am sure will be quite useful for you as well.

As for the yoga, my personal favorite is Yoga with Adriene on YouTube.  She also has an entire series of videos on different poses and how to do them correctly, although here main focus is "Find What Feels Good".

B'ker Level 1 Half-elf Ranger  STR: 3  DEX: 3  CON: 3  INT: 3  WIS: 2  CHA: 2

Bker Survives December Challenge Tracking Spreadsheet

Walking to Mordor (2019) Spreadsheet

MyFitnessPal | FitBit | Instagram

Walking to Mordor 1879.44 miles/1779 miles

Mini Challenge:  Week 1:  | Week 2:  | Week 3 | Week 4 | Week 5 |

Hi - I'm also new, after spending plenty of time checking out articles(/collecting underpants). Nice to meet you!

Sounds like you're pretty grounded, I'm impressed :) Moving can be really tough, hopefully it won't take long to get hired! Not sure if you can get it in the US, but I cook a fair bit from Joe Wicks' "Lean in 15" book. Some really nice, easy recipes!

hi 

welcome to the rebellion.

there are plenty of advanced workouts that you can do at home. So you dont have to make it simple just because you dont have the luxury of affording a gym. Besides, the general trend in NF is to stay away from machines.

There are a plenty of recepies  in the net and many here in NF too to get you started. There are also posts on basic kitchen skills here. You dont have to rotate between a few food in the hope that you dont burn out, you cann always try something new.

Hope you are running out of excuses that stop you from being better.

If you want something, go get it. Period 

Epic Quest                                     Intro post                                    Duolingo