Forums are back in action! ×

Did you try pushing the power button?

*sigh* I was doing okay...and then summer came. Something about the heat and the sun just exhausts me. No energy, no appetite. Ugh. But the last few days have been crisp and cool and its time that I got back to work again!

Let's sort this introduction into pros and cons, shall we?

PROS: I'm a retired Muggle Quidditch player who fully committed to physical fitness after dislocating my kneecap in dance class. Nowadays, I'm an actor, with an passion for stage combat, living in the city. I just started taking acting classes again this week too! I carry my water bottle with me EVERY WHERE. This past week, I celebrated another victory - 1 whole year working at my job, which also means 1 whole year of walking to work and back home every single day. That's two miles every work day (+ walking to where ever else I am going). Victory!

CONS: I mentioned the kneecap, right? I'm also a picky eater (who has slowly started getting better but realistically my diet still sucks) who can't afford a gym/apartment with floor space to work out at home with - I'm confined to my yoga mat. My muscles have gotten very soft over the summer. I used to be competent in Tai Chi too and I stopped after I dislocated my knee and never got back to it.

And the goals? To re-start and then continue exercising and stretching, whether it be my acting muscles or the muscles I need to hold up a very big sword. I want to re-introduce stage combat to my body again, so that next year when I can possibly afford to do so, I can certify again for my weapons testing and better myself. Re-learning Tai Chi would be nifty too.

• Like 1

It's been two weeks since you posted Roaring Girl. I want to open this thread back up. I have gone much longer than one summer- but I too have allowed my muscles to go soft and feel I don't have the money for a gym or space for a lot of equipment. 

One of my goals is exactly the same as yours- to get restarted exercising. I am so weak that I might as well be hurt. Anytime I do anything I am going to count it as a win. I am doing the beginner bodyweight workout, and some barbell work and walking.

My other goal is to fully commit to 100% eliminating sugar (by any name) and white flour (a vegetarian modified) Paleo. In Whole 30 they say- if you are veg for ethical reasons- do what ya gotta do. But- I cut out all grains and dairy. 99% of why I got fat is from not having any water and eating a stupid amount of  "sugar treats" and lots and lots and lots of grains. So- now I am replacing that with lots and lots and lots of vegetables and water as well as other healthy stuff such as fruit, good fat, and (for me, beans.)

Please keep writing back about your strength recovery. Do you have a physical therapist? Is there somewhere you can swim? What modifications are you doing to be able to exercise? I will be following your journey.

Pink Light

• Like 1

Hi there, Pink Light!

True to form, almost as soon as I posted, I came down sick! September sickness, right? Lots of tea and sleep for me. Regardless, I have been making small efforts - stretching in the morning, continuing my daily mile to work and back. I stopped by the grocery store to pick up bell peppers on sale and challenged myself to find different recipes that I could use them in. And I finished up a month-long acting class! Now that I am almost fully healthy again, it's time to up my efforts.

To answer your questions: not since I did my knee in (insurance only covered a few months of PT); no, I don't have anywhere to swim; and no modifications so far. I just have to figure out again what works best for me when it comes to working out.

• Like 1

Another newbie respawning!  I hear you about the lack of space.  All I have is my bedroom floor, which works out to about the space of a yoga mat. :)

I'd love to know what you're doing food-wise.  I haaaaaate cooking, so have had to make some compromises to get the nutrition I need (thank god for nuts!).

Hope you're feeling better!