Forums are back in action! ×

13 hours ago, thesnowman147 said:

I was good about doing my workouts for about a month, but since I've started student teaching I've really had no motivation to continue my workouts. I keep telling myself "okay, tomorrow you start back up again." Then I come home at the end of the day exhausted and just can't bring myself to do it. Does anyone have any advice?

I had this problem for a very long time and I'm still trying to stick to my goals. Reading this Nerd Fitness article helped me understand what my problem was and refocus my attentions to what will get me working towards my goals every day. I'm still not perfect (too many cookies in my diet lately, haha!), but life is a journey and I will reach them when I'm ready.

If you want a short hand of the article, Steve basically says that motivation is great for inspiring people to make goals and pursue changes, but it doesn't let them stick with the person in the long run. He says to cultivate discipline if you want to make permanent changes. Motivation is the spark that lights your campfire, but it's the act of fanning the flames and added wood/kindling that will keep your fire burning bright and strong in the night. For me, this lead to me writing down what I wanted to change about my lifestyle in my planner, writing down what I was going to meal prep for my lunches at work and writing down a specific time I could carve out of my schedule for yoga. Writing is my method for discipline.

It sounds like with the addition of student teaching, you seemed to have lost the time for your workouts. Perhaps analyzing your weekly schedule would help you fit it back in? I find music to be a nice push if I'm particularly moody about committing to something: I put on tribal fusion music when I need to edit photos of my belly dancing troupe to help me get going. :)