Forums are back in action! ×

Pullup assistance machine?

I know that overall the machines at the gym are considered bad but I was wondering about the pullup/dip assitance machine. It gives you a step to put your feet on with a weight stack to assist you up. I kind of see it similar to having a friend assist or using a chair to get me part way but I was wondering if anyone else has an opinion on it. The bar overhead is just like any pull up bar and therefore my arms are still in same position etc.

Is this a good place to start working towards doing a pull up or is there a free weight exercise that is better? I'm currently doing the beginner bodyweight routine but want to add anything that will help with pullups.

Thanks!

“Women are like teabags. You never know how strong they are till they get in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

MyFitnessPal Diary

Well, looks like I'm just a Human

STR 1; DEX 2; STA 1; CON 2; WIS 4; CHA 5

Bumblebee's Quest to Play!

If you can get your hands on a band, that'd be more helpful. The fact that you're resting your entire bodyweight on the platform means that you're taking out the core stability training. These kinds of thingies... though I have no idea about brands of bands.

That being said, I started on the machine. Once I could get a couple sets at 50lbs or so, I moved on over to the real thing. Then I got a door jam bar and my life hasn't been the same since :D

You ever see those guys who look like they totally used to be in shape?
I'm working to get back to that...

I looked at the link you gave for the bands and I've used bands (bicep curls, leg lifts etc) before but I'm guess I'm not really understanding how to use them on a door frame to help with pullups. I plan on buying a door jam bar as I get closer to being able to use it but I feel very far off from that right now as I can't lift myself up at all unassisted. Sad! Very sad!

“Women are like teabags. You never know how strong they are till they get in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

MyFitnessPal Diary

I wouldn't think the assistance machines would be a big deal, however I would think that there is a bit much of a propensity to allow it to be a crutch and progressing really slowly because of it. For example not doing really hard 1-2 rep stuff or full weight negatives that will cause you to rapidly progress.

If you have a doorway pullup bar and can keep it up, do GTG negatives, jump up and lower yourself as slow as possible a few times a day. From there doing a chinup is just around the corner (chinups are easier than pullups, I would do pullup negatives but switch to a chin grip when trying to do rep #1).

Humans have a natural propensity to be able to do pullups and rapidly progress toward them if you keep at it and keep it hard. Plus it is a muscle that can be used over and over and over. We are after all primates, most of whom make a name for themselves with their tree swingin' prowess.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

Thanks Seth and Waldo. I think I'll keep with the assistance machine for these first few weeks and really really push myself to use as little assistance as possible. Today I could only do 2-3 reps before feeling like I might fall off the machine. And I'll start looking at door jam bars and plan to get one soon. And thanks for the explanation Seth, now I see how the bands and the pullup bar work together lol.

MyFitnessPal Diary

Thanks Seth and Waldo. I think I'll keep with the assistance machine for these first few weeks and really really push myself to use as little assistance as possible. Today I could only do 2-3 reps before feeling like I might fall off the machine. And I'll start looking at door jam bars and plan to get one soon. And thanks for the explanation Seth, now I see how the bands and the pullup bar work together lol.

Bands are generally considered superior to the machine because of the nature of the resistance. A machine will have constant resistance throughout. A band's resistance is relative to how much it is stretched, it helps you get out of the bottom, the hard part, but then gives less help as you get closer to the bar.

currently cutting

don't panic!

I'm just starting out with pullups and am using the assisted machine as well. It's really helping me right now, since I've never done a pullup before in my life. (Seriously. Never.) Hopefully soon I'll be able to use bands, but for right now the machine is the best choice for me! I think as long as you don't set the weight too high (where it's too easy for you) it's better than nothing.

I would think that there is a bit much of a propensity to allow it to be a crutch and progressing really slowly because of it.

Well put. My Dad uses an assisted machine and has made slow progress from what I've heard. It's definitely better to use it than to do none at all though.

I like the bands, but they're super awkward.

Doing negatives helped me a lot. Then started the whole grease the groove thing, put a bar over my bathroom door and pound some out each time I walk under it.

Well put. My Dad uses an assisted machine and has made slow progress from what I've heard. It's definitely better to use it than to do none at all though.

A lot of people underestimate how well they respond to ultra low rep work; you feel like you have to do more.

I imagine that there is a whole branch of lifting that I am missing, but you'd get strong fast if all you did was 1RM stuff (you'd probably get hurt fast too, but injuring yourself on the pullup bar trying to get rep #1 isn't a big concern, pullups are a very safe exercise).

currently cutting

don't panic!

In the opinion of those who already have door jam bars... Can it be used in a closet door jam? Like the type of closet that has two bi-fold doors? My closet does have the same type of frame around it as all my other doors but I'm just not sure if it's as sturdy as a regular door frame. That's what I have in my room and I really think my roommate would prefer I keep it in my room if I'm going to keep it up. Otherwise it would be taking it up and down each use to have it in a "normal" door frame like my bathroom or office door.

Thanks for all your help!

MyFitnessPal Diary