Forums are back in action! ×

With the start of the 2012 season just 2 weeks away, I was wondering if there are any Formula 1 fans here. I know racing isn't the nerdiest of sports out there, but I find F1 fascinating. The technology in the cars ends up in the cars we drive now in a few years. That's pretty techie sweet to me.

With a dedicated US Grand Prix this year in Austin, I am super stoked. ( I will be attending that one.)

Anyone else out there a fan of elite racing. I won't go into my feelings towards Nascar and the like, that would open up a can of worms.

"Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform. "-Mark Twain
“Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.†– Winston Churchill
“You will either step forward into growth or you will step back into safety.†– Abraham Maslow

Wood Elf Adventurer LEVEL 6.817
Stats: STR-18.62 DEX-8.22 STA-19.05 CON-29.72 WIS-30.26 CHA-22.73

Yep love F1. Love all kinds of racing, doesn't matter what it is I am just a fan.

I'd love to hit Austin but I think I will wait till DTM or Australian V8 Supercars come. I will hit the New Jersey track though, family is up there so a place to crash is super cheap and I think the track is going to be awesome. 204 MPH coming down through the Pallisades? count me in.

Dad spent a lot of time at Lime Rock Ct and Watkins Glen NY when he was in his 20s, he instilled a love of sports cars and formula cars in me. When he moves south the first thing he did( besides get TV, but that is another story) was find the local oval short track in Richmond Va and go. He made friends with a few drivers and I remember as a kid getting to go into the pits after the races and sit in the cars and look over them. Dad also is just a race fan, though he can't get into motorcycles which I can watch but have no desire to do.

The sports fan in me usually isn't a big fan of F1, as often one driver/team has such an edge in technology that there's really not much competition for them. (recent years have been better, though)

On the other hand, the engineer in me absolutely loves the fact that it's much more open than other series as far as design of the cars goes. All kinds of cool innovation that goes into those cars, it's pretty incredible.

"Restlessness is discontent - and discontent is the first necessity of progress. Show me a thoroughly satisfied man-and I will show you a failure." -Thomas Edison

Can't wait for the start of the season. I have always been a supporter of the prancing horse, but we are going through some tough times. I reckon F1 is hugely nerdy when you think of all the time that goes into designing each component of the car, right down to wheel nuts that come off a millisecond faster than the other guys. My ultimate hero is Rory Byrne!

I thought last year was a pretty good race for second ...

It is one of my level up goals to go to an F1 event - maybe when it comes to Cape Town.

Do not worry if you have built your castles in the air.
They are where they should be.
Now put the foundations under them
. - Henry David Thoreau

I prefer.... F1 over Nascar! It's much more exciting, the speed... wish I could see one that is close to Illinois, not having to travel far unless it would be part of a vacation package.. mmmm

"I may not be the strongest, I may not be the fastest, but I'll be damned if I'm not trying my hardest."

Sorry. I was writing that while you posted. Also it is how I feel. Used to be a Ferrari Fan back in the Schumacher days. I do like Massa, just my despising of Alonso over takes that love of Massa.

Don't worry - I don't get that worked up about it. :topsy_turvy: Massa has plenty of talent. Would love to see some new drivers in the top cars - would make life really interesting. Maybe 3 cars?

. - Henry David Thoreau

Don't worry - I don't get that worked up about it. :topsy_turvy: Massa has plenty of talent. Would love to see some new drivers in the top cars - would make life really interesting. Maybe 3 cars?

That would be cool. But how much would that cost? But again think about the strategy that could be played with pit stops if you had 3 cars. Also it would make the fields larger which would make the racing more interesting. Quick someone call Berni and tell him this great idea.

While I know most here probably hate NASCAR there are two things they do that nobody else does that helps make them the 800lb gorilla. 1. they have huge fields of cars making for lots of passing and lots of traffic. 2. their season is so long and has so many races in it that people can't forget about them. Having a month+ break in your season gives potential fans time to forget about you. IRL will prove that this season with their reduced season since they no longer go to 1.5 mile ovals. I just wish they would have thrown Richmond Va back onto the schedule. Jet Fighters in a Gymnasium was an apt description of open wheeled cars at that track.

I must say that I found last season to be rather disappointing. Vettel out in front and no one able to touch him was just not entertaining.

I really can't say that I follow a team, I tend to follow individual drivers. I am a huge Alonso fan. Massa I find to be useless since he got whacked in the head 2 seasons ago. Hamilton is a whiny little *$^&% and tends to blame his team and everyone else when something goes wrong. I find that to be the most offensive quality in a team sport. Perhaps he will grow out of it, he's a good driver. I would love to see Webber actually put on some wins this year. I'm curious as to how Kimi's season will go.

Oh, and I usually secretly cheer for the crazy Japanese kid, he pulls some moves that belong in the top three teams.

Austin is going to be awesome, I plan on crashing my cousin's place and getting the "natural" seating available. Otherwise described as sitting in the grass, cause that's just how I roll.

"Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform. "-Mark Twain
“Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.†– Winston Churchill
“You will either step forward into growth or you will step back into safety.†– Abraham Maslow

Austin is going to be awesome, I plan on crashing my cousin's place and getting the "natural" seating available. Otherwise described as sitting in the grass, cause that's just how I roll.

That is how you should always be at a road course. Free to get up and move around, or have a small grill some lawn chairs and a cooler full of tasty adult beverages. But then again I am old school when it comes to racing.

I absolutely love F1, but I've never been very loyal to a team. Though, with Lotus-Renault around with Kimi as a driver, I can't help but root for them. I'm a sucker for Lotus, and the John Player special paint scheme just seals the deal for me.

Oh, and there's nothing wrong with rooting for Kobayashi, he's my favorite driver after watching him pull off all those passes at the hairpin of Suzuka, fight with Alonso when he subbed in for Timo, and in Canada when he drifted coming out of the pits right next to the wall of champions! His twitter is a pretty funny read too. He actually has a personality, which is rare these days in F1.

The part of the season I am looking forward to the most:

Melbourne, Race Day, Opening Lap, 1st Corner

As interesting as it will be to see what these new cars can do in qualifying, that first corner says a lot. It seems to thin the herd sometimes as well. :) Heh, smashy smashy.

The Pirelli tires are fantastic, they add such a strategic edge to the race and I am happy to see a performance tire in the race again instead of a everyday brand like Bridgestone.

Now if only the F1 live timing app weren't +30$ a season, I would consider having it.

Race day is close - and I think a couple of teams have got something to prove and may have a trick or two up their sleeves. F1 website had an interesting teaser about MBenz new legal F-duct. That should be really interesting if it works. All these cool technology concepts, with Renault having a downward blowing exhaust still (although different to last year) and the really ugly new noses on the cars. I am hoping for an exciting season and some serious competition.

I can't decide which race I like most - Monaco is always cool. Singapore is super special and no-one can ever take away the absolute delight of Silverstone, Suzuka and Spa! Can you tell how excited I am? :topsy_turvy:

Will be glued to the screen on Sunday morning.

. - Henry David Thoreau

I'm excited about the start.

Bean I have an easy answer to the question to what is the greatest F1 track. Spa. In my book Spa is one of the most amazing tracks out there and probably one of the most beautiful. Speaking of a race outside of F1, I really wish a US media outlet would cover the 24 hours of Spa. Heck we don't even get a decent highlighted coverage.

Monaco is cool because of what it is.

I can only catch races live or really delayed and badly edited, so I record everything that doesn't work with my schedule.....which is all of them except Montreal and Brazil. As much as I would love to stay up on Saturday night and catch the start of the race at 11pm, I have to be up super early and at work every day at 6:45...that would totally mess up my schedule.

My favorite race is The Nurburgring with Spa a close second.