Forums are back in action! ×

Learned to ride a skate board/cruiser, felt so sore the next day I ordered one!

One of my younger family members has a skate board, a shovel board, a cruiser from the 70's, a rip stick, and a skooter, and we spent two days just riding around on them (he's the coolest kid ever). The day after, everything was sore from my shoulders to my feet. Esp my abs. So I got one to ride to and from my classes. I can't wait. It was super fun, and felt like a workout. So, to anyone ever thinking about riding a board, I would suggest it! To anyone that currently rides a board, any tips/advice? I bought a cruiser, because I'm more interested in travel than doing tricks, but I'm sure any tips/advice would still apply. It gets here tomorrow, so I get to spend my spring break practicing riding around campus.

I had a trick board with a little bigger wheels when I was in college as my transportation. At the time I was the only person in the CivE building that rode one to class. I rode them in HS too but got rid of my board when I went to college, but....

The bike I got right before my Fr. year was stolen by the cops. It snowed, the cut all the bikes off the rack at the dorm so they could plow, and because it wasn't registered I couldn't get it back. Bye bye $1000.

That spring I bought another. Wal Mart special this time. Come fall it was stolen while I was at work (on campus) from a bike rack.

At that point I pretty much threw up my arms in disgust and got a skateboard. Bonus points, I traveled a lot on campus at night and it was in the middle of the city. I was not in the least bit concerned about getting robbed/mugged. Skateboarders are usually broke. And their board is pretty much a superior weapon to everything but guns and swords. It was actually faster than bikes too, not having to deal with locking/unlocking and finding a spot in the rack more than made up for the speed difference, which isn't that big on campus when you get good on the board (bikes can't go too fast).

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

This sounds like so much fun! I was always a bit in awe of skater boys when I was younger and wanted to date one. Wonder if I'll look weird as an overweight nearly 30 year old on one? OK don't answer that, I know I will, but still. Having fun while being active rocks!

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually afraid to make one. - Elbert Hubbard