Forums are back in action! ×

Push-up workout schedule

Hello!

Recently Steve sent out a newsletter, in which he said that you can develop your body using your body weight as a primary training tool. Among one of the ways to do it he mentioned push-ups (quote from that e-mail):

Here’s what an oversimplified progression tree for the pushup might look like:

Wall push-ups -> Knee push-ups -> push ups -> feet elevated push ups -> 
pike push ups-> handstand push ups.

I assume that in this training mode you do wall push-ups and increase their number in regular intervals (e. g. you work out every day in the morning and increase the number of push-ups by 1 daily).

After a certain condition is met (like you can do X wall push-ups easily) you switch to the next phase (knee push-ups), again increase their number regularly and then move on to the next stage.

Is there material (e. g. some part of the Nerdfitness Academy), where I can read

• with how many wall push-ups I have to start,
  • by how much and how frequently I have to increase the number of push-ups at every phase and
  • how do I know I'm ready to switch from one type of push-up to the next one

?

The reason, why I want to exercise is to be more productive at work (software development, writing), i. e. to increase the amount of hours per day where I'm energetic enough to tackle complex problems.

Also, I think push-ups are the best option for me because some time ago I had the habit of doing a couple of them every morning.

Thanks in advance

Dmitri Pisarenko

I haven't read that newsletter, but it sounds like an abbreviated version of the StartBodyweight workout program.  You can checkout that plan HERE.

As for your questions:

-You start at your starting point.  Find a number of reps that's challenging for you.  If wall pushups are too easy for you, then try knee pushups, etc.

-You progression will also be based on individual ability.  There are too many factors for anyone to predict when you'll be ready to add another rep or move onto the next progression.  You should always be challenging yourself, so if a workout was too easy, add a rep or two next time or try the next progression.  And if you have a bad day, don't worry about it too much, just get enough rest before your next workout and try again.

-When you move to the next progression depends on your goals.  If you're trying to build endurance, you'll add more reps to your current sets before changing progressions, while if you focus on strength, you'll change progressions more often.  The StartBodyweight basic plan is a good balance between the two for beginners and recommends advancing to the next progression when you can do 3 sets of 8 with 1-2min rest between sets.

If you're looking for a quick morning routine, you may want to check out the PLP program.  It's intended to supplement a regular workout plan, but may be a good intro for you.

• Like 1

Anim07734; God of Death in Training

Tiefling Assassin and Artificer

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.