Forums are back in action! ×

Anime And Video Game Nerd, Martial Arts Enthusiast and Personal Trainer

Hey guys, Dom here. Grew up in Hong Kong and Canada, and moved to London, UK recently with my wife and started a new career as a personal trainer. I didn't exercise a day of my life till my early 20s, and spent most of my life struggling with depression, drugs and alcohol. I got into Muay Thai which basically transformed my life and made me a better person. I'm turning 30 soon and have never felt better in my life. I'm into lifting heavy shit and combat sports, as I feel that sparring and competing provides you with something that cannot be experienced elsewhere. Recently I've gotten into HEMA (particularly Longsword) and gymnastics, and am super excited to get into the beginner's mindset again!

I stumbled upon the Nerdfitness blog and am super inspired by what Steve is doing here for people who may not have much experience with fitness, nutrition and a healthy lifestyle.

Hoping to help out anyone in need, and also to share and learn from others from other disciplines!

Nerdy pursuits: RPG games from Final Fantasy to Baldur's Gate, Fantasy books like the Broken Empire Trilogy and Mistborn, and countless anime series (Berserk, Gundam, Wolf's Rain, Jojo's Bizarre Adventures, Fullmetal Alchemist, Rurouni Kenshin, etc).

Welcome fellow newbie! I'm from the UK  - I hope you're enjoying London and your career as a personal trainer. Kudos to you! I was always that kid that when the class was doing swimming lessons I was sat at the side of the pool watching, or if they were playing basketball I was tucked away in a corner with others, who for whatever reason were not participating doing something more mundane - like playing table tennis or just mooching around. I've never been super healthy or fit but now I'm getting older I can't get away with that the same and for the first time find myself wanting to be fitter and healthier - but not knowing quite how to get there. I've started with running because everyone can do that - you don't need to pay for the gym or buy fancy equipment. It's really simple and while I tend to fall out of the habit during the winter when it is cold, dark and icy (I fear I will slip and injure myself) or in the summer when my young daughter is out of school and I can't get out on my own as much I tend to fall out of the habit. So it's on/off but I always go back as I enjoy it. This time, I want to make the good habits stick.

So again welcome, and good luck. I hope you find what you're looking for here.

It seems we have a similar past :), I too watched others play sports on the sidelines and never really participated as a kid. It took psychiatric ward and multiple trips to the hospital to make me realise that I needed to take better care of myself.

Is jogging you something you enjoy doing? Putting aside skills, money, health and equipment, what are the few things that you REALLY want to learn to do? What do you dream or fantasize about? I think what kept me going with Muay Thai was merely the fact that I wanted to move and fight like the heroes from my favourite video games, novels and shows. As childish as that sounds, that really acted as a catalyst to all the positive changes in my life. Wanting to get good at it => eating better as fuel for my training => being humbled and disciplined as a beginner => being part of a community of individuals who also face similar struggles and challenges.

So disregard the logistics for now, and think big! Then look into the steps that will bring you there :), there is always a way to get there.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, DarkHorse said:

It seems we have a similar past :), I too watched others play sports on the sidelines and never really participated as a kid. It took psychiatric ward and multiple trips to the hospital to make me realise that I needed to take better care of myself.

Is jogging you something you enjoy doing? Putting aside skills, money, health and equipment, what are the few things that you REALLY want to learn to do? What do you dream or fantasize about? I think what kept me going with Muay Thai was merely the fact that I wanted to move and fight like the heroes from my favourite video games, novels and shows. As childish as that sounds, that really acted as a catalyst to all the positive changes in my life. Wanting to get good at it => eating better as fuel for my training => being humbled and disciplined as a beginner => being part of a community of individuals who also face similar struggles and challenges.

So disregard the logistics for now, and think big! Then look into the steps that will bring you there :), there is always a way to get there.

You know I truly think this is really awesome. I think one of the problems with me in some regards is that I don't have much passion for anything in particular. I don't have a burning desire to fight like heroes from my favourite games, or anything else. I think years of laziness and settling may have killed any spark of ambition I may ever have had. I mean honestly - what do I dream about? (I don't tell people this). Being a Starship captain - like something out of Star Trek. I actually facilitate a group of writers in a Star Trek play by email game and write for a captain character I created myself. So maybe there is something in that fantasy I can channel towards positive change. Something to think about anyway. 

Either way I'm really glad you shared that and think it's awesome.