Forums are back in action! ×

how to avoid that when running?

Hi guys,

I don't know the right english word for it : side notch? side stitch?

You know the sharp pain you have under the ribs while running.

I automatically have it after 5 min of running, so I can't improve the time I run without stopping.

I know that I have to walk and breathe to get rid of it but I would like to be able to run more than 5 minutes before it appears.

all input are welcome.

Long is the road...

you can do core exercises like planks and such, running involves a lot of core stability. also, pay attention to how frequently you've eaten and/or drank before your run to see if that affects you.

personally... i would say just don't stop. your body releases all kinds of endorphins when you're running and if you keep going pains like this always work themselves out. stopping to walk is going to create a little mental complex where you create reasons for yourself to stop. haruki murakami had a little adage which i adapted for myself when i go out running: "never walk".

Inhale and exhale when your left foot hits the ground. It's some complicated thing involving organs bouncing off eachother, and evidently it's better for them to bounce to the left. I don't understand it, but it works.

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

"There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength." - Henry Rollins

I managed to overcome this by taking comically large breaths...that is, I made a point of making large breathes right from the start, rather than try to do it after I was already getting winded. My thought process on this was that I wanted to establish my breathing pattern early on rather than try to adjust it after getting a deficit.

Within 3 days, I literally went from being able to jog a couple of blocks to doing a half mile and then a full mile without stopping.

Repairing a lifetime of bad habits...