Forums are back in action! ×

Spawn Killed - A Love Story

Back pressed against the wall. I have my gun at the ready.  Full mag.  Health 100%.  Objectives in mind.  My HUD displaying the enemies on radar.  I know their locations.  Time to act.  I push myself off the wall and exit cover.  Target sighted.  A quick squeeze of the trigger.  Target neutralized.  +100 XP.  Footsteps to my right. A shadow around the corner.  Amateur. I toss my throwing knife as the target rounds the corner.  Impact.  +100 XP.   Suddenly, I'm taking damage from the left.  Target in the window above.  I go prone, sight my target in.  +100 XP.  He's down.

Suddenly, I see 2 enemies coming from the front.  They have me.  Sparks fly, bullets pierce the air.  I don't have enough time to react...  "Killed by Depleted Willpower".  I respawn.  I  check your weapon and....  thwap!!  "Killed by Pizza Party at Work".  Respawn.  "KIlled by Eating Out With Friends".  "Killed by Under Supportive Friends".  "Killed by Doubt".  The cycle repeats until I finally rage quit.  "Match Lost.  Your Goals: 17  Life:  52"

I take a moment and breath.  I back out of the lobby.  I was defeated in glorious fashion, but I still put up a fight.  The XP I earned is still mine.  I have that to use in my next match.  But, the fear of getting defeated again looms...  "Ding!"  I get an invite.  "Healthy Life wants you to play!"  I sit there.  "Ding!  Bettering Yourself wants you to play!"  I close my eyes, gripping my controller.  "Ding!  Looking sexy as $&#@" wants you to play!"  I smirk.  I do love playing with these guys...  When we click, we make a great team.  And, despite the setbacks, my XP doesn't reset.  I'm a little stronger then last time...   I tweak my usual loadout a bit based on what I've learned in past matches.

I enter another match and get ready for another battle...  I refuse to stop trying.  "Match Begins in 15...  14..."  My allies spawn around me.  "Nerd Fitness Rebels".  "The Rebellion".  "Courage".  "Desire."  "N00b_slayer69".   I select my newly formed loadout.  Are you all ready to go?

"Match begins in 3...   2.... 1..."