Forums are back in action! ×

Another 49er pushing toward being a great 50

Hi, I have been hanging in the outskirts of Nerd Fitness world. I have been surfing the website from time to time and started with doing Rookie workouts in November for my 49th birthday, but just now stepping into the virtual community. I'm up to level 3, but not up to par on planks yet; guess my core still catching up.

I have 3 grandchildren, all approaching 4 years old; we have guardianship of one of them, and have cared for either one of the other two off and on, so have found ourselves parenting the 2nd time around...much more fun, but trying to keep up with them helped me to realize I needed to be in better shape.

In my youth I played softball year round and was in great shape, but in my adult world focused too much on other life activities and only inconstistently did anything considered significant exercise.

I feel soooo much better the last few months. Prior to the rebel workouts, I usually focused on cardio for those periods where I was trying to be consistent on exercise. Adding in strength training has been a tremendous boost to feeling great. I took weight training in highschool, but never gave it much thought after that; I should have, but at least getting back to it now.

I have been migrating toward the Paleo diet. I thought it would be really difficult to eliminate the grains, but amazed at how much better I feel. I never realized I felt bloated, until I was not bloated. My blood sugar doesn't fluctuate as much, and my energy level stays more consistent throughout the day. Cravings for sweets has also been reduced. I splurge once in a while, but find I tend to regret it as learning that there is a price I pay in how good I feel.

I am aiming to be the "best 50" I can be and want to be in shape enough to take a parkour class to celebrate this milestone birthday ;-)

Discipline is just choosing between what you want now and what you want most. 

So be stronger than your excuses and remember, you only get what you work for.

Excellent work! I can so relate to this part: "I never realized I felt bloated, until I was not bloated."

Insert any one of a number of conditions & you're describing what's been happening to me for the last few months.

When's the birthday? My 50th is in early October.

Dwarf = Squad Adventurers

...walking all over that whole 'old and decrepit' thing

Why am I not playing along this time? Uhhhh...can you say crash, boom, ow?

I may be almost 50 - but I hardly act my age. Follow me for mercurial, smartass randomness: @betsywhim on Twitter.

Hey great to see you here! Now I know I'm not the only one over 30 (ha ha) I was never very fit but I was young so it didn't matter. but now OIY! I'm on day 4 of my Paleo did3/4 of a yogo class this week and half the beginner circuit at a time. I am definately feeling better- I haven't had a nap today! That's a frickin miracle :-) ditto ditto on the bloat yay us. We rock!