Forums are back in action! ×

full body split program for the gym

thanks again guys i truly appreciate the help.

im a butcher by trade(supermarket chain in copenhagen denmark), and i have implementet a saying at work to exhaust every possible angel for succes: "hvis du ik har prøvet det ved du ik om det virker" which roughly translates to: if you havent tried it, dont knock it.

wich brings me back to this, im going to follow whats seems to be the overall advice: benchpress( though i will most likely do them with dumbells, simply because i believe it works more muscles at once) yes i get the irony:victorious:

get squats to work for me again. perhaps doing airsquats with a dumbell to build strength in knee

would it make a diffenrence doing front squats vs normal squats. here im thinking pressure on knee?

deadlifts

overheadpress

barbel rows( palms in or out?)

some planks and ab work finish of with kettle swings, go home and eat, sleep and wake up and cry :-)

what do you recommend set and rep wise? because the hot buzz at the moment seems to be low reps and max(80%) weight

and between 3-4 sets

all the best

ps: apart form wieghtloss and healthier living...i also want to do a pull up.. just one would rock my world

villains sleep with prostitutes

hereos sleep with destiny

current weight 1o6,8kg

3x5 or 5x5 works well for most beginners.

For squats, you will want to do back squats, as front squats have a larger quadriceps component and in most people, the hamstrings and glutes need strengthening.

If you're going for a pullup, practice negatives.

Quare? Quod vita mea non tua est.

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Sixteen or just plain 161803398874989.

Guest Snake McClain
thanks again guys i truly appreciate the help.

im a butcher by trade(supermarket chain in copenhagen denmark), and i have implementet a saying at work to exhaust every possible angel for succes: "hvis du ik har prøvet det ved du ik om det virker" which roughly translates to: if you havent tried it, dont knock it.

wich brings me back to this, im going to follow whats seems to be the overall advice: benchpress( though i will most likely do them with dumbells, simply because i believe it works more muscles at once) yes i get the irony:victorious:

get squats to work for me again. perhaps doing airsquats with a dumbell to build strength in knee

would it make a diffenrence doing front squats vs normal squats. here im thinking pressure on knee?

deadlifts

overheadpress

barbel rows( palms in or out?)

some planks and ab work finish of with kettle swings, go home and eat, sleep and wake up and cry :-)

what do you recommend set and rep wise? because the hot buzz at the moment seems to be low reps and max(80%) weight

and between 3-4 sets

all the best

ps: apart form wieghtloss and healthier living...i also want to do a pull up.. just one would rock my world

alright thisi s what I would do (speaking for myself here). bench press with the bar. you can put more weight and your body works more together than using dumbells. use the bar. for real.

barbell rows do an overhand grip. (palms facing down). It uses more of the back and less of the biceps that way but still gets the bicep work in some. good stuff.

I do 3 sets at 6-8 reps as high of weight i can do. if you can't finish the third set its okay. Keep the same weight until next time. Then once you can do the 3x6-8 then add five pounds the next time. :D

but seriously trust me on the bench press. i mean i'm not fitness guru but this has worked for me. i can bench WAY MORE on a bar than i can hold with dumbells.

wup wup...

i gave it a go and guess what guys... squats.. no problemo:smug:

i actually took a broom and did some squats at home just to test the knee, and my first reaction was crap that doesnt feel good. so i wasnt to optimistic about putting weight on it.

i startet out with a 10 min jog on the tread mill, and 75 swings for a warm up..

squat: 3 sets of 10 reps at 30kgs . im pretty sure i could have gone heavier, but i played it safe and tried to notice what was going on with the knee and form. i felt no pain..rah.. sweet was dripping of me know as i kept rest periods way short

next bent over rows palms down: 4x10x29,7kg again i could of put more weight on but it was the heaviest premade bar.. and didnt put ekstra on it this time. but i will next time as i didnt really feel any resistance/fatigue. and intensety dropped

deadlift: 4x10 4x10x29,7kgs same story as above. not quite sure i got the form right on the way down. so will check on that.. might take my iphone with me next time and have a youtube vid at the ready.

overehead press( using a bit of spring in the legs) 4x10x22,7kg. ok so this bad boy is gonna be fun(hurt:smug:) to track

again def. more weight on next time, though i think i was closer to max here. because after 3 set i had to give it a slightly longer rest/water recap. because i was close to failing the last rep. but good fun!

chest: i ended up opting for regular benchpress, so i did it right by you bruce:-) 4x6x51kg. again here after 3 sets i had to give it a longer rest as i was feeling close to critical on the last to reps.. and without a spotter i aint taking no chances..

actually its a good 11kgs more than i did it with dumbells on monday.. hurrah

plank: 3x30sec. pulling the navel in and shaking like a parked car on date night

i foregot to finish of with more swings unfortunately.. but hey.. the workout feelt good.. and if i can up the weight im sure i will be sweeting like a prussie on payday:smug:

hurray..

all the best mark

villains sleep with prostitutes

hereos sleep with destiny

current weight 1o6,8kg

Thought it might help to share my really short-term personal experience here. Used to do the machines and the super-circuit (you know, the one where you do machines and then run up stairs in between) religiously three times a week. I thought I was in good shape but hit a wall in trying to lose weight. Stumbled upon Nerd Fitness earlier this year and decided to take the plunge on doing free weights. I am trying to stick with the 5x5 programe on deadlifts, squats, bench, rows and overhead press. In less than 6 weeks of doing free weights I can serioulsy already see the difference and have lost 4kg. (Oh yeah - I also managed this week to deadlift just more than my bodyweight for the first time). I have also snuck in a few pull-ups in my workout since one of my six week challenge goals is to do 10 consecutive pull-ups.

You walk out of the gym after 45mins - 60mins feeling like your arms and legs are no longer part of your body, but you feel awesome. I reckon I still have a long way to go on these five exercises (not to mention the pull-ups) and see no point in trying to add any more complexity to an already exhausting workout.

These guys above have been around a while and know what they are talking about. From one Rookie to another - stick to a simple exercise until you feel you are not benefitting from it any more.

Do not worry if you have built your castles in the air.
They are where they should be.
Now put the foundations under them
. - Henry David Thoreau