Forums are back in action! ×

Hey guys! So I used to use this forum a fair amount, I lost an account I regularly-ish posted with and created this one back in May when I intended to get back on track.... But I messed up big time.

For the last 5-6 months I have been a fucking idiot. Doing the exact opposite of what I want to be doing. I'm not sure how relevant it is and I know it's unlikely for anyone to of been in this situation but I'm hoping maybe there is someone and they can give me any advice ape fix to my situation.

so for the last 5-6 months I have been takin crack and heroin on a daily basis, I'm talking obscene amounts and I have really done myself a number in such a short period of time. I quit it all last week on Monday, I suffered through withdrawals instead of seeing doctors for any type of drug to help me through it as a way of punishing myself in the hopes I remember how bad it was as I've made this same mistake years ago and I was prescribed bupanorphine which helped me slowly ween off making it very easy in comparison. 

Now that I am clean and the worst part of my withdrawals are behind me I want to improve myself. I want to make small steps to begin with which hopefully evolve into big changes.

im trying to improve my diet, I'm not completely reshaping it but I'm trying to put more fruits and veggies in the mix and cutting down on junk food. As time goes on I do want to see more drastic changes in my diet though.

as for exercise I'm not sure I could physically do anything too intensive right now, so I am trying to walk for half hour a day minimum and I want to start incorporating some light stretching in the evenings. 

Im im also doing something I used to do where every time I go to the loo I do X amount of push ups or squats. 

I also want to start doing some form of meditation to help me have a clearer mind an maybe a bit more control over my thoughts and temptations.

so I guess my questions are...

1. Any fruits and veggies you would say are a must have in my diet?

2. Any good stretching routines I can follow that aren't too long and will help with my flexibility and posture?

3. As I'm doing push ups fairly often I'd really like a pulling exercise to do as well... I was doing a 500 push ups a day for 30 days challenge a few years back and it completely messed up my shoulder. The doctor said that the excess of pushing exercises without pulling exercises to compensate had caused muscles to grow weirdly around my shoulder joints. So any pulling exercises I can do that rely soley on body weight would be great. (I have no pull up bar or anywhere to install one thanks to my dodgy doorways)

4. Meditation? This is just frustrating for me, every time I attempt it my mind blows up with every thought lingering on my mind. I can't quiet them.. I can't relax. Will it come in time? Should I just keep at it?

5. Anything else you think I should do that could be beneficial to me? I'm really trying to start small here and build positive habits whilst breaking bad ones. So I don't want to jump in too hard ad burn myself out with all this and end up backtracking. So anything small and proactive you guys can think of would be great!

Any replies are greatly appreciated, really want to give this a proper go and this forum has helped me a lot before so I was hoping you guys could again. 

Glad to hear you have decided to change, sounds like you have seen some rough times. While I have never been in your situation, I have a brother who went down a similar path but with alcohol, very nearly destroyed his liver (doc literally told him if you don't stop drinking NOW you will die very soon). The biggest piece of advice is to get into a support group whether its NA, Teen Challenge (not just for teens) or some other program. Forums like this can only help so much, you need live people who have been and are going through what you are. You also need to figure out what drove you to the addiction in the first place, is there an underlying disease such as depression? Was there a life altering event that touched off the addiction?  Its one thing to day "I'm done" but unless you understand the motivation and develop new coping skills it will be very difficult to stay on track.

As for some of your other questions:

The fruits/veggies that are most important are the ones you will eat. I can tell you that kohlrabi (picked at random) is important but if you hate it or cant find it where you live it doesn't do any good, I think for the most part its more important to eat as much variety as you can rather than one specific fruit/veg, just watch out for sugars in fruit and don't over do it.

For a pulling exercise to start with you can do the "dumbbell" rows that are part of the NF Beginner Bodyweight Workout. Just get an empty milk jug or bucket, fill it with water/dirt/cement to make it heavy and use that.

Hope this is helpful.

On November 4, 2016 at 8:32 PM, Scatterbunn said:

Glad to hear you have decided to change, sounds like you have seen some rough times. While I have never been in your situation, I have a brother who went down a similar path but with alcohol, very nearly destroyed his liver (doc literally told him if you don't stop drinking NOW you will die very soon). The biggest piece of advice is to get into a support group whether its NA, Teen Challenge (not just for teens) or some other program. Forums like this can only help so much, you need live people who have been and are going through what you are. You also need to figure out what drove you to the addiction in the first place, is there an underlying disease such as depression? Was there a life altering event that touched off the addiction?  Its one thing to day "I'm done" but unless you understand the motivation and develop new coping skills it will be very difficult to stay on track.

As for some of your other questions:

The fruits/veggies that are most important are the ones you will eat. I can tell you that kohlrabi (picked at random) is important but if you hate it or cant find it where you live it doesn't do any good, I think for the most part its more important to eat as much variety as you can rather than one specific fruit/veg, just watch out for sugars in fruit and don't over do it.

For a pulling exercise to start with you can do the "dumbbell" rows that are part of the NF Beginner Bodyweight Workout. Just get an empty milk jug or bucket, fill it with water/dirt/cement to make it heavy and use that.

Hope this is helpful.

Thank you for the reply scatter!

yes I actually forgot about the dumbbell rows.. And I used to do the beginner workout a fair while back!! That's a great idea though and really appreciate it!