Forums are back in action! ×

New Beginnings: A life of health, fitness and happiness!

Hi all!

Well, I had a "false start" with Nerd Fitness. I listened to a great podcast on it and jumped right in, before truly thinking about it. The reality was, I was only a short distance from finalising and handing in my honours dissertation for my degree. That became all consuming and pretty much took over my life. Now, I did continue to workout at least once a week during this season (yes, I know, it's not enough). I hired a Personal Trainer at great personal expense, hoping it would keep me on track more easily while I focused on the necessary tasks to finish my degree. It didn't work. I went my once a week for my PT session, and that was it most weeks. Maybe twice I went more than once, over the last 8 weeks. Understandably, I made no progress. So, I essentially wasted the money that I paid out for PT sessions. And over the weeks, I have become more and more dissatisfied with both my health and my weight. I survived my honours year on sugar and caffeine. I wish that were a joke. I have been very fortunate to not get too sick, but I don't feel awesome. This is not what I want for my life. I want to look good, I want to feel attractive, I want to be energetic and fit and not be limited by my health or fitness. 

I've come to realise something upon reflection though. Many years ago, I used to go the the gym twice a day, 6 days a week. I loved it. I was strong and lean and fit and healthy. I thought that I would get back into the swing of things and enjoy the gym just as much as I used to. But the reality is, I don't... I can't explain why, because even I don't understand, but all I know is that I don't enjoy it any more. I tried classes, I don't enjoy those.... nothing seems to motivate me to want to go there. Not even knowing it'll ultimately do me good.

I've just recently come across a book by Mark Lauren "You Are Your Own Gym". I'm really interested in his methods and his ideas, and I am interested to try out the bodyweight workouts and to see if this kind of program works for me. I also thought it would be a great mix with one of the rebellion guilds. I like his approach in his book - it seems quite balanced, not extreme, and actually achievable. I love even more that it has a workout app as well! Additionally, I can see myself participating in this sort of workout program - not needing to go to a gym, being able to work out from home, in my own time. And not having to pay any more gym fees. 

So here's my plan... I need to spend my summer (I have now finished my degree, and although I'll be working on scholarship starting next week, I am essentially study free until February) getting my health back in check. Getting rid of the sugar and caffeine reliance, building in a fresh, healthy, nutritious diet, losing some weight and getting myself on track with an exercise program that I enjoy and look forward to doing (at least on some level!). 

Is it achievable? What are your recommendations on getting me started and keeping me going through this? Or any particular resources? Due to a number of years with chronic fatigue syndrome, my metabolism is "shot", so it's going to be tough. I was considering looking for ways to boost my metabolism, at least in the short term to kind of kick-start. 

I'd love any advice or encouragement! What's the best way to use these forums in a situation such as mine?

Thanks in advance!

Hi, Katie!!

I am also new (joined the forums today), so I have no advice on how best to use the forums :ambivalence:

Congrats on your degree!! I bet that feels soooo good to get that done with!!

I am finishing up my Bachelors in just over 6 months, via an accelerated program for working adults. It is HORRIBLE how much school gets in the way of healthy living :( Even when you MIGHT have the time between papers, etc, you just want to veg out and rejuvenate instead of working on healthy stuff!!

That book sounds interesting! Sounds like some great bodyweight exercises? I will need to look it up :) 

I would start small and work up. There are some good articles on NerdFitness.com (click Free Resources at the top) about how to handle muscle soreness. You can give the Paleo diet a try, if you wish. I have tried a lot - 5:2, ketogenic, etc. With a very stressful school quarter, I'm trying a form of intermittent fasting from the "Buddha's Diet" book (I don't own it, I've just read enough reviews to understand that you pack in your eating - you eat "whatever you want" I think - during a 9-hour window). If that doesn't work, I will be better-prepared to try something more complex in 3 months or so.

I recommend ramping up your changes, as Steve suggests. Swap out one thing (i.e. your afternoon soda for water) for a few weeks, and then change something else. Choose one meal at a time, or one habit at a time (instead of heading straight for the TV after dinner, try to do a few minutes of bodyweight exercises before dinner, and make a 5-minute 30-day challenge (minimum of 5 minutes of bodyweight exercises a day). Something small, that gives you a WIN!

Lenore, High Elf Druid

[ NF Character Sheet ]

| Challenges: Jan '18 | Feb '18 ]

18 hours ago, Lenore said:

Hi, Katie!!

I am also new (joined the forums today), so I have no advice on how best to use the forums :ambivalence:

Congrats on your degree!! I bet that feels soooo good to get that done with!!

I am finishing up my Bachelors in just over 6 months, via an accelerated program for working adults. It is HORRIBLE how much school gets in the way of healthy living :( Even when you MIGHT have the time between papers, etc, you just want to veg out and rejuvenate instead of working on healthy stuff!!

That book sounds interesting! Sounds like some great bodyweight exercises? I will need to look it up :) 

I would start small and work up. There are some good articles on NerdFitness.com (click Free Resources at the top) about how to handle muscle soreness. You can give the Paleo diet a try, if you wish. I have tried a lot - 5:2, ketogenic, etc. With a very stressful school quarter, I'm trying a form of intermittent fasting from the "Buddha's Diet" book (I don't own it, I've just read enough reviews to understand that you pack in your eating - you eat "whatever you want" I think - during a 9-hour window). If that doesn't work, I will be better-prepared to try something more complex in 3 months or so.

I recommend ramping up your changes, as Steve suggests. Swap out one thing (i.e. your afternoon soda for water) for a few weeks, and then change something else. Choose one meal at a time, or one habit at a time (instead of heading straight for the TV after dinner, try to do a few minutes of bodyweight exercises before dinner, and make a 5-minute 30-day challenge (minimum of 5 minutes of bodyweight exercises a day). Something small, that gives you a WIN!

Hi @Lenore it's great to meet you! Hopefully we will figure out how to get the most out of the forums. There are so many members and a lot of posts coming in daily! I hope I can keep up!

Thank you, yes! Finishing my degree was a great feeling, but it's kind of bittersweet given that the plan is that I will start my PhD in February. So it's very much an "I'm done!! ..... oh wait, no I'm not" feeling. haha! You're almost there! Hang in there! What do you study?

Especially doing my dissertation year this year, it most definitely consumed my entire life and every bit of energy I had. I quite literally survived on sugar and caffeine. Not good! What I'm really hoping to do is increase my health and fitness, lose some lbs and get myself into a good pattern BEFORE I start PhD.  I CANNOT spend the next 3-5 years doing what I did to get through this year!!

I finished the Mark Lauren book yesterday, and I'm keen to give it a try. I just have to get off my butt and do it!

For food, I was eating paleo for some years, but this year silly things got added in - like sweets and BIG milky coffees. And sometimes just anything at all that I could find! I love the ramping up idea! I've started in the obvious place - cutting out the sweets and reducing the caffeine intake. I like the idea of focusing on one meal at a time!

Good evening, @Katie82!

I am getting a Bachelors of Science in Virtualization and Cloud Computing. Considering a Masters in Cyber Security - but I reaaaaally want to take a break between degrees to concentrate on my health and a few other things that I've let slip!

Once you set your goal, let me know if you want to be "Accounabilibuddies"! I am on Day 2 of a 30-day 5-minute-a-day of bodyweight exercises. Yes, it's totally a tiny amount of time, but I know it's DOABLE for me, and I soooo need a few "Wins" in my pocket.

I found the Mark Lauren book at my library, so I'm checking it out now, thank you!

Lenore, High Elf Druid

[ NF Character Sheet ]

| Challenges: Jan '18 | Feb '18 ]

Welcome you two. I see you don't know anything about the forum. I had this problem two months ago. I recommend you to go to the actual 4 weeks challenge, read some challenges from others and think about what u can achieve till end of this challenge. If you don't know yet which class to choose (or are too afraid to jump right into one) then go to the Rebels class. In the Rebels forum you should check out the mini challenge. Even when week one is already over, do the challenge of the first week. It will help you a lot. And if there are any questions then ask whoever you want. Nobody will bite you. :D

Was wäre das Leben, hätten wir nicht den Mut, etwas zu riskieren. Vincent van Goch