Forums are back in action! ×

Friends Taking the Place of Food

Today was a bittersweet day for me. I went on a roadtrip with the husband and a friend to see some of our "family" on the other side of the state. Our roadtrip ritual has always been to fast-food-and-coffee it the whole way. Eat, drink, eat, drink... everything in excess. Today, though, the whole thing felt wrong. A coffee-drink tasted like chemicals. The fast-food made me nauseated. My largest meal ended up being a massive, entirely paleo skillet of vegetables and eggs sauted in olive oil. Anyway, what I realized today was that friends have taken the place of my food. Meals are great because of who I'm with, not because of what I'm eating.

Ultimately I know that's going to be a good thing. Today it felt like my old self had finally been taken by some kind of terminal illness. There's a grief-process happening.

So yay, but also boo. :/

• Like 2

I had a recent experience similar to this, but sans the friends. For my cheat meal this weekend, Chinese sounded good. Understand that I used to LOVE Chinese. Any chance I had, Chinese was the thing.

So, it's been a couple of months. For the past two months or so, I've been following my trainer's meal plan, which has incidently been eating (mostly) clean. This weekend, I get my Chinese. It smells delicious. General Tsos and steamed dumpling. My thing. I dig into the dumplings first... hm. I remember them being better. I eat a few, but move onto the General Tsos. I take about two pieces, and I simply can't get over how oversweet and greasy it is. The only part I really enjoyed was the steamed broccoli that came as a garnish. I still finished it, but I could have just as easily fed it to the dogs (looking back, I wish I had). Something that used to be my favorite food became nearly revolting. It's a bummer, because I enjoyed it regularly back in the day, and I have fond memories of enjoying it. It feels like I won't get to enjoy it anymore. Anyways, that's my story of food that used to be good now becoming unenjoyable.

• Like 1