Forums are back in action! ×

Hi all,

Wasn't sure where to start, but I guess an introduction is as good a place as any. I'm Eric, and I've posted here before under a different username. That one seems to have been swallowed by the internet, so here I am again. A little about me:

27 years old, married, father of one extremely active 7 month old boy

Chef, currently working at a culinary school in California. Receiver during the week, demo chef/private chef on the weekends. Wife is a pastry chef at a gluten free bakery, so needless to say food is a huge part of our lives.

LOVE lifting weights, but currently (with the insane cost of living in Northern California and very large student debt from aforementioned culinary school) unable to afford a gym membership in the area. 

I was very active in this community (in my own way) two years ago when I was getting ready for my wedding; then I was a warrior all the way, lifting 5-6 days a week and trying my best to eat healthily. I lost weight and I feel I looked the best I ever have when I got married. Since then things have changed, as life does.

At a health screening a few months ago, I weighed in over 200lbs (at 5'8") and over 20% body fat. While horrified, I didn't change my habits much at all. For our anniversary, my wife and I went to a lake and I had the embarrassing "trunks don't fit " experience, but still it wasn't enough. Then, after starting my new job and seeing a random post on facebook. I started a 30 day workout challenge and committed to eating better. It's been about 6 weeks and I feel a lot better, though I do feel like I have a long way to go.

Now, I'm doing the recommended routine from reddit's bodyweightfitness, as well as getting back into yoga (something I did fairly regularly during my wife's pregnancy). I'm trying to limit my caloric intake to <1400 kcal, but I'm not really tracking, so I don't know how well I'm doing (although I do notice my clothes fitting much better). I guess now what I'm looking for is community and accountability, as well as some insight into bodyweight exercise. I've never done anything gymnastics related really, and I'm liking it, but I want to see how much it can change my body. 

Anyway, this became longer than I meant for it to be. Wish me luck, and any support is greatly appreciated! Nice to meet all of you, again.

-Eric