Forums are back in action! ×

Genji gets back on the horse

Hi all,

I'm finally joining the Rebellion after reading NF on and off for several years. There are some seriously inspirational people here!

Class:

Ranger for now. Most of my goals will be strength-related, which would suggest Warrior, but in RPGs I would always choose a Wizard or Monk, so I went for something in between. Maybe Samurai?

Nerd cred:

- I work as a data scientist. I can think of few nerdier jobs, so I feel like I'm in the right place.

- I've always loved RPGs. I currently play bits and pieces of Discworld MUD (text adventures ftw), but basically any game in which you create and level up characters sucks me in.

Background:

- I've always been skinny. 183cm, 66kg. Up from my normal ~63kg due to eating badly and not exercising for the past several months.

- I've been an occasional runner in the past. I ran a marathon last year in a bit under 4 hours, but my running has *really* tailed off since then, and I feel much less healthy.

- I tried Starting Strength earlier this year for about six weeks, loved it and saw good results, but then got sick in May and lost my gym habit. I've maybe been to the gym 5 times since then...

- Not NF-related, but learning foreign languages used to be my main passion. For the last two years I've been busy with my masters so have unfortunately let this slide. I studied in Japan and worked as a Japanese translator for a while, and also spent some time learning Chinese. I'll be travelling to Japan somewhat regularly for work and my girlfriend's family mostly only speaks Chinese, so I now have reasons to revive both of these.

Catalysts for change:

A couple of things:

- I'm in a relatively new relationship, and that brings with it a bit of extra self-consciousness. But the optimistic way of spinning that is that self-consciousness -> extra motivation to work out!

- I submitted my masters thesis on Monday and have my last exam ever next week, so my schedule will change completely. Now (well, next week, but I'm procrastinating!) is the perfect time to start building fitness and language learning habits.

So:

Goals:

- Strength training. Build a habit of going to the gym at least 3x a week. Gotta be strong enough to wield that katana.

- Weight gain. My first goal is to reach 70kg.

- Cook more. I love cooking (vego for 10+ years) but I'm eating out far more than I should, and less healthily. Cooking at home will make my fitness goals much easier to achieve.

- Language learning. Regularly practise my Japanese and Chinese.

Battle plan:

- Stick with strength training and eat better. The rest will come.