Forums are back in action! ×

Knees and ankles still hurt.

I took last week off from working out to give my knees/ankles a chance to recover. Last night I got on an elliptical for about 45 minutes. Well today my one ankle is swollen and my knee is still acting up. This all started when I began doing the beginner body weight workout circuits. The squats and lunges were what did me in. I want to be able to do them without having pain and weakness afterwards. I certainly do not want for this to become a permanant thing so I will go real easy this week with maybe just push ups, rows and walking.

So, I'm not fitness expert, but I have had this problem, and what helped me a bunch was to look in the mirror and check my form. I noticed that when I was doing squats, my knees stuck out past my toes, and that's a no-no. Once I corrected that, I stopped getting so much pain. (It did mean that I had to make my squats and lunges more shallow until I got used to it.) Now, the only time I get sore knees form squats is when I increase my weight load. Not sure if this helps, but I hope it does because squats are excellent for the booty. Plus, I know how frustrating and sucktastic it is to hurt when you just want to get stronger. Good luck!

Current Challenge

Level 2 Human Ranger

STR 3 | DEX 2 | STA 2 | CON 2 | WIS 3 | CHA 2

Mens sana in corpore sano

Have you looked at the MWOD web site. Maybe you should really concentrate on your mobility, and stretching. When you begin doing squats again, use a stool or chair while you work on form

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

I was having pain in my left knee, so I did some research and found that my form for squats was all out of whack. I've been focusing on my form since then and, lo and behold, the pain went away. The only problem that I have with the new form is that I can't keep my balance, so I have to hold onto something. A friend pointed out to me that if I just grip the edge of the table with my fingers and thumb (parallel to each other, no gripping anything) I'd be able to keep my balance but not remove any force that my legs have to do. I'd imagine that correcting your form in squats will help you self-correct your form in lunges, if necessary.

Marsupial Assassin - LVL 3

STR 10 || DEX 3 || STA 5 || CON 8 || WIS 11 || CHA 7

Fitocracy || MyFitnessPal

I always have to use a chair for support with squats,otherwise I would fall right on my bum. When I was fifty pounds heavier I had chronic heel pain. I now believe it was plantar fastitis. I was going to go to a doctor about it but then when I lost weight the pain almost completely stopped so I did not think I needed to. What I feel in my knee now is mainly just weakness if I have been sitting or sleeping for a while. My heel on that side tends to swell and get little twinges of pain.

I always have to use a chair for support with squats,otherwise I would fall right on my bum. When I was fifty pounds heavier I had chronic heel pain. I now believe it was plantar fastitis. I was going to go to a doctor about it but then when I lost weight the pain almost completely stopped so I did not think I needed to. What I feel in my knee now is mainly just weakness if I have been sitting or sleeping for a while. My heel on that side tends to swell and get little twinges of pain.

I had really bad lower back pain but once I lost about 15 pounds it almost completely stopped too. I was very happy because my doctor wanted me to start taking muscle relaxants or pain killers, both of which I wanted nothing to do with

Well I guess it's only life, it's only natural We all spend a little while going down the rabbit hole