Forums are back in action! ×

Standing at a Crossroads

Hello all,

My name is Nick and I'm 37 and just seem lost at life. I currently work as a social worker doing therapy at a boy's group home, I'm severely overweight (and this is after having weight loss surgery in 2012) and I just feel like life is passing me by. 

I have had hopes and dreams of changing careers from social work to web development but I seem to lose steam while studying on my own and it just falls apart. I'm not sure if its just me losing motivation, thinking I'm too old, or thinking the task is impossible. In the end, I just seem to slowly quit and then realize a few weeks later that I lost what I was doing and why.

Same seems to go for when I diet. I just slowly slip back into habits.

In any case, I came across the Level up Your Life book and it just sounded like a great idea. I finally got around to listening to it (I got the audiobook but then picked up the digital copy to refer back to). I have been trying to resist picking up underwear as I start (my biggest issue right now is how do I track my quests. Considering either a Bullet Journal or Evernote, and probably will do Evernote and switch to a journal later). I am also trying to decide what journey to go on.

I will admit as I started the book I started becoming a little resistant as it seemed focused a bit more on fitness, but then I realized that in the state I'm in physically that I will struggle regardless as I just feel lethargic in body, mind and spirit. That this is all because I am consuming bad fuel in a broken down vehicle. So, I took the first steps the other day by going on a nice walk. I still need to purge the house of sweets, but I am slowly getting there. I was considering doing keto again, but I liked what Steve said about Jason Bourne not watching macros, and that it really comes down to the quality of food I eat as well as moving if even a little more daily. 

So, here I am, joining the Rebellion.

• Like 1

Current Challenge * My Fitness Pal * Habitica * Fitbit

My Blog: From MSW to Web Dev

2017: 1st Challenge

DEMOSTHENES131 — WIZARD

Lost Items Found.

Paranormal Investigations.

Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates.

No Love Potions, Endless Purses, Parties, or Other Entertainment

Every adventure starts with a step, right?  Good for you for figuring out how to move at your own pace. [emoji4]

I just joined the Rebellion too, after lurking around the site for a few weeks.  Sometimes that first step is the hardest.

Good luck!

Thanks! Good luck on your own journey!

I've also been lurking a bit. Not sure exact how to start.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

DEMOSTHENES131 — WIZARD

Lost Items Found.

I also slowly quit things I start doing as far as my health and fitness is concerned. It seems like you are really ready for a change and I wish you luck in it! 

Isn't it frustrating to continue patterns yet notice it is happening.

DEMOSTHENES131 — WIZARD

Lost Items Found.

5 hours ago, demosthenes131 said:

Thanks! Good luck on your own journey!

My tactic has been posting in the introduction forum, as well as figuring out/reading the blog posts on 4 week challenges.  I've looked through some of the past ones to get ideas.  I think my next step will be joining the Dec 4-31 4-week challenge.  You should do one for yourself too!

• Like 1

MASKED ARTSASSIN

4-Week Challenges: 1

WEBSITE || NF CHARACTER || HABITICA

Congratulations on taking the first step! Glad to have you in the Rebellion :D  You can absolutely accomplish whatever you set out to do. The Rebellion is here for you every step of the way, so please don't hesitate to ask questions or just reach out for moral support!

22 hours ago, demosthenes131 said:

Feel free to set up a thread in the Four Week Challenge section! Your first Challenge ought to be in the Rebels section- they have a nice mini set up that could function as a nice introduction. Don't worry about making it all snazzy unless you want to- just post a goal (or a few!) and there'll be folks to cheer you on along the way. You're already making a good start with walking. That and a Nutrition Goal would be a fantastic starting point!

Best wishes for your endeavors! You've got this!

• Like 2

Matthew 25:34-40