Forums are back in action! ×

Advice on my workout routine

I've been working out off and on for the last few months and have finally built a consistent and solid routine. I haven't used a trainer and have been adding bits and pieces to it from what I've seen here and over on reddit in the r/fitness and r/loseit threads. I'm pretty happy with what I have so far but I'd like to fill it out a bit more and get more whole body exercises in as well as more lifting. I'd like to do the body weight exercises everyday but I don't know if that would be too much. Any advice would be highly appreciated as I have very little idea of what I'm doing.

Mondays - Lower body

Run - 1 mile or 10 minutes

Leg press - 3x10

Sit-ups - 3x30 1 x15 (adding 15 each week)

Hack Squat - 3x10

Burpees - 3x10

Planks - 3x30 (do these between burpees)

Barbell Squat - 3x10

Inverted Rows - 3x10

Dumbbell Lunges - 2x20

Tuesdays - Cardio

Running/biking/cardio class

Weds - Upper body

Barbell Bench Press - 3x10

Sit-ups - 3x25, 1x15

Burpees - 3x10

Planks - 3x30

Inverted Rows - 3x10

Barbell Deadlift - 3x10

Dips - 3x10

Dumbbell Step-ups - 2x20

Incline Barbell Bench - 3x10

Thursday - Cardio

Running/biking/class

Friday - Core

Seated Cable Row - 3x10

Sit-ups - 3x25, 1x15

Power Clean - 3x10

Burpees - 3x10

Planks - 3x30

Inverted Rows - 3x10

Dumbbell Bench Press - 3x10

Saturday - Mini-triathlon (I add a little more each time)

Swim - 500 yards

Bike - 7 miles

Run - 2 miles

Sunday - Rest

I take it then that your goal is to do a triathlon? :P

If so, you are probably actually doing too much weight-lifting work. Triathletes are your stereotypically slim endurance athletes. Not a whole lotta muscle mass, but they can go forever. Again, this is assuming competiting in triathlons is the main goal here; if all you want is overall fitness, then a last qualifier would be your training age. If you feel like you're fairly strong already, then this is fine. If you are still a beginner though, you would benefit from doing less work more often; do full body each day, but less exercises per body part each day.

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

I'm actually not training for a triathlon but I enjoy doing all three and wouldn't mind being able to do an actual triathlon at some point. I want to run a half-marathon around May or June though for the fun of it. My overall goals are weight loss and strength training so I'm just trying to set up a solid program that I can keep sticking with for the next few months.