Forums are back in action! ×

Back to the starting point

I wasn't very active last time I was here, but I already had lost a lot of weight (about 50ibs) and was 10ibs away from normal weight.

Now, stuff happend, I got pregnant and gained a lot of weight during the pregnancy. Afterwards it turned out my thyroid was completely broken and needed to be removed and I struggled to get the right medication. After the pregancy I was back to where I had started and I at least managed to stay there until I had the correct medication, but I didn't lose any. During the pregnancy I was afraid of hurting the baby with caloric deficits and lifting and things spiraled out of control rather rapidly. I wish I could stop overeating without compulsive counting, but apparently I can't.

Anyway, I feel healthy now, healthy enough for another attempt to get to normal weight. I'll stick with the method, I tried last time. Body weight exercises to keep up and build muscle. Eating a caloric deficit each day. I decided to go with a more flexible pln though this time. The only limit upwards is that the intake must be a deficit of at least 200 kcal and the only downwards limit is, that I have all the protein my body requires or the muscle. I'd like to go with a high protein, low carb diet. But I mainly want to exclude carbs I don't really want anyway (white bread and such), f there is a craving, I want to give in and just save the calories somewhere else. That worked ok for me last time, I ate much healthier and the occassional chocolate bar resulted in hunger, because dinner got cancelled, so it did stay an occassional thing.

I also decided to adapt my calorie counting table. I calculated how much calories I have to save in total to reach my goal. So now I see, how many calories I saved each day and how that would relate to my weight. This way I can calculate a projected weight. In the beginning of course I lose much more weight than the projected weight, because the water goes away. In my feeble attempts to start getting fit again in the year since giving birth, I usually lost 3 kilos (of water) fast and then thought "well, it's sure going so well, I can eat a "little" more than that". Of course I was lying to myself and whatever I had gained was back in no time.

If I calculate the projected weight I see that I cannot actually lose 1 kg of fat in one day and feel more reluctant to give up the hard won  real losses. This way it is also easier to deal with plateaus, because I see from the two curves that it works, even if the current weight curve is usually much more unstable than the projected weight curve. That's the theory.

I do take more long walks now, which I hope will have a positive effect, once I stop overeating. Well, let's hope for the best.