Forums are back in action! ×

Rebel recovering achilles surgery...help!

Hi folks,

I am usually an all or nothing person...go in all guns blazing.

That's why I've had 6 surgeries in the past 20 months...apparently, 51 years of all guns blazing has an affect of tendons in the feet and ankles(knees and hips...yeah).

anyway - I've gone from walking 7 miles 3x a week and 5k's walked under an hour to today's triumph of .61 miles at a whopping 2mph!!!

I could out squat anyone...COULD! I can squat now...but, it hurts!

I did body dips to lift myself around for 8 weeks of non weight bearing cast...and I crawled to pick myself up the three stairs to our bedroom. I can do planks from the arms pov, but not the toes.

I'm starting with 2# weights, because I had surgery on my elbow tendon last fall...so, I can't do the push ups just yet(I'm a very fluffy rebel, after two years of just laying around!).

My husband, Wildross, is so far ahead of me...and we just don't jive in the gym! ;-)

The article about being afraid to go in the gym...HA, I got over that, but now, I'm afraid to do anything!!!

How do you tell 'good' pain from 'bad' pain?

How far do you push yourself...to get the burn, but not burn out? Or get a free trip to the surgical hospital, don't go past go, and don't collect $200!

My eating is great - I"m losing again, now that I can actually walk a bit each day(it's a wonder what moving can do to a body!).

I guess I just want encouragement that if I do this REEEEEAAAAAALLLLLLLYYYYYYY Slow, there will still be benefit in the end.

I'm hoping to do a 5k at the end of May...walking...maybe walk running, we'll see.

I want to repeat a sprint triathlon by the end of the year(done in a gym because of diabetic and other issues that must be managed between events).

Am I crazy? My Physical Therapist doesn't think so...and I think this is just the place to rebel against the status quo that a 51 year old lady, with tons of physical health issues just ought to learn how to crochet and sit and be quiet.

There is an athlete inside me begging to get out...anyone have any ideas where to start?

Thanks!

~Lady Wildross

In His hands and Under His wings, Phil 4:13; Is 40:31; Jer 29:11
 Adventurer by choice

YOU GO!!! But go slowly and cautiously.

I am 11 months out of major knee & ankle surgery (same time). It SUCKS! but rehab went way faster and better because I was in decent shape to start. Key is to not push too hard but to not be a pansy. I found a super duper sports minded PT who was great at pulling me back when necessary. For example, I kept asking for a home program... she kept saying no. Also, I always asked for my limits. If she gave me a home program, I asked "how many times a day can I do this?". If she said 2xs, I only did it 2xs. Research is clear that over reaching is bad. I asked for athlete level limits and worked with those. BTW, my surgeon said if I was a pro athlete my career was over. So I approached life as if my career would not be over - hard work, pushing limits, but still working within limits.

When I was in a boot cast, I had permission to gym-it but not to do standing exercises (like squats - can't do properly, too much strain on leg). I LOVED those stupid machines. I worked and worked and really improved. I also rode the upright bike - a lot!! loved the bike.

So, as long as you stick to all of what you are doing and DON'T push beyond limits set by your super awesome PT, you'll get there.

7 months out I was doing hardcore hiking in the mountains (surprised my surgeon with that one). 8 months out started heavy lifting program. 10 months out ran the slowest 5k you've ever seen - but I did it (and walked some of it).

This is totally doable.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Forgot to answer two of your issues:

1. afraid to do anything - yeah, that's natural. Sucks, doesn't it? I was terrified after surgery 1 (I had 3 total on same broken bone) to walk. Really scared. I actually talked to my PT about it. the key is knowing why you are afraid. Afraid of pain? Legit. Afraid of reinjury? Legit. Afraid little dogs will mock you? not legit. Legit fear can be your friend. Use it to keep you from doing too much and pushing too hard. AND when you do walk - hey, you got over part of your fear. When you do that first baby squat? Hey, you got over some of your fear!! You will get over it. PT is a HUGE help for that.

2. Good pain from bad pain - ha! this I'm an expert on. Bad pain = what it felt like when I broke it, what it felt like after the pain pills wore off after surgery, what it felt like when it crippled me and I would go down (before surgery). Terrible. Good pain = what it felt like after a PT session = exhausted, sore, stiff but not that horrifying I'm gonna puke crippling pain. I started calling it "PT sore". PT sore is okay but requires rest. I still get PT sore after workouts sometimes. Trainer still makes me ice. Think back to immediate post op pain or when you injured it pain. That nausea inducing pain is bad. Stiff, sore, etc. means you are recovering BUT you have to respect the pain. That is your body's way of saying "help me out, pal." embrace it - it means you are healing but respect it too.

This will pass. You will do it! Stick with the PT!

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

You are amazing. I admire how you haven't given up but are ready to get back in. No real advice about pushing too hard vs not pushing, except probably I'd lean a little to doing less. You seem like a person who is willing to work, so I'm betting even if you err on the side of caution, you'll still push yourself and make progress. And go to your physical therpaist for as long as you can, he's the one who will help the most.

On another note have you tried an autoimmune diet? I think it might be wise to cut down on as many inflammatories as possible

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Cline -

Thanks - you really get it! My dh, Wildross has had injuries, but nothing as debilitating as multiple surgeries. He's worked his way through them, but cutting back, and slowing working within proper form, and has done great things...but again, nothing like having to have anchors grafted to tendons to hold your body together(did your boot look like a storm trooper boot?).

I do know the difference between the initial after surgery pain(they were all so damaged, there was no pain..hence the extensive damage). I'm thinking, I'll go with icing as my indicator...if Icing can bring me back down to normal...then it was PT pain(they have this awesome cryo boot that cools down the whole foot!). Your progress is truly encouraging.

First three surgeries, I did some exercise, but not enough...and my right lower leg atrophied. I got it back up to normal, and then had this left ankle to deal with...and this time, I didn't sit around. Leg lifts, muscle contractions, anything that didn't involve the ankle...AND - 2mm atrophy!!!

Hearing your story is greatly encouraging...I can't tell you how much it means to me...thank you!

Adventurer by choice

You are amazing. I admire how you haven't given up but are ready to get back in. No real advice about pushing too hard vs not pushing, except probably I'd lean a little to doing less. You seem like a person who is willing to work, so I'm betting even if you err on the side of caution, you'll still push yourself and make progress. And go to your physical therpaist for as long as you can, he's the one who will help the most.

On another note have you tried an autoimmune diet? I think it might be wise to cut down on as many inflammatories as possible

I was blessed to know that this years insurance does not have limitations on visits! woo hoo!!! And the PT place is big on building strength, and physical fitness, not just able to walk. So, I'm with you on that one.

What is an autoimmune diet?

I have FMS as well, and try to keep inflammation down, but have not heard of a diet for this...please give me some more info!

edit to add: I just received this link...http://www.naturalantiinflammatory.org/anti-inflammatory-foods.html

Let me know if this sounds like it will help similar to the diet you mentioned.

Adventurer by choice

I had two knee surgeries recently, just the meniscus, but after the first one had to have immobilizing brace for 6 weeks, which really killed the muscles and range of motion in my knee.

I saw two different physical therapists, and the second one was just so much better. One thing I learned is that if you want to regain range of motion, you will have to go through some discomfort bordering on pain. First therapist was more cautious and not as confident and didn't push my joint far enough to really get the flexion back. Second one really knew what he was doing, pushed a lot harder and I got a lot more range of motion back.

When you are doing exercises, he told me you don't want to be pushing through the pain, though. Discomfort and feeling like you are working it is OK, but if it is painful enough to make you grimace, then you stop.

It has been 6 months since my last surgery, and I am back to doing my full gym workouts. Running is still tough, but I will keep working on it, since I need to be able to run for playing ultimate. If you stick with it you will get there. In fact, making sure I get back to full function has been a great motivator for keeping me going to the gym.

I had two knee surgeries recently, just the meniscus, but after the first one had to have immobilizing brace for 6 weeks, which really killed the muscles and range of motion in my knee.

Nickls,

Great job! I've had three miniscus surgeries, and my goal after the last one was to get back to a squat(which 'they' told me would not happen) - today, 2 1/2 months out from the Achilles surgery, I can squat, all the way down, and back up. Yeah, it hurts the ankle, but the knees are strong. I loved to squat while working in my garden and working with children, and I just wouldn't take no or 'can't' for an answer! I guess I need to use that past experience to guide me through this one...

Another encouragement for you, nickls...my brother had ACL surgery...and several years later - ran a marathon...including all the practice and stuff that goes into building up from surgery like that to running a marathon! YOU CAN DO IT!!! Great attitude!

Adventurer by choice

I was blessed to know that this years insurance does not have limitations on visits! woo hoo!!! And the PT place is big on building strength, and physical fitness, not just able to walk. So, I'm with you on that one.

What is an autoimmune diet?

I have FMS as well, and try to keep inflammation down, but have not heard of a diet for this...please give me some more info!

edit to add: I just received this link...http://www.naturalantiinflammatory.org/anti-inflammatory-foods.html

Let me know if this sounds like it will help similar to the diet you mentioned.[/quote

i was thinking of a Paleo diet (no grains,dairy) plus also eliminating the nightshades veggies (tomatoes, potatoes maybe others too) and then eating the good stuff like in the link you found.

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

I would suggest calf massages from someone with strong hands. His last name may be the same as your.... <.< >.>

:D

Thanks buddy...

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

Yup, storm trooper boot, crutches, fiberglass cast, you name it. Hated that stupid boot BUT it gave me mobility the fiberglass cast didn't. I hated sleeping in it. Gah.

Ice is your friend. BUT I still argue with my trainer that I shouldn't need ice. I let him win the arguments b/c somewhere in my weeee little brain, I know he's right. The cryo boot is AWESOME! I used to ask for it at PT. I wanted to steal it. I love that thing.

And someone else mentioned massage. That's a great thing - also good for back, glute, hamstring especially as you progress. Walking lopsided for a while is bad on the whole body. You might also see if your PT can do ART. AWESOME and painful all at the same time.

BTW, I also swear by kineseo tape. PT should be able to show you how to use it for your surgery. I use KT brand and heat it, carefully, with a hair dryer to get it to stick. I use it when I run, row, etc.

I AM going the distance

Yup, storm trooper boot, crutches, fiberglass cast, you name it. Hated that stupid boot BUT it gave me mobility the fiberglass cast didn't. I hated sleeping in it. Gah.

Ice is your friend. BUT I still argue with my trainer that I shouldn't need ice. I let him win the arguments b/c somewhere in my weeee little brain, I know he's right. The cryo boot is AWESOME! I used to ask for it at PT. I wanted to steal it. I love that thing.

And someone else mentioned massage. That's a great thing - also good for back, glute, hamstring especially as you progress. Walking lopsided for a while is bad on the whole body. You might also see if your PT can do ART. AWESOME and painful all at the same time.

BTW, I also swear by kineseo tape. PT should be able to show you how to use it for your surgery. I use KT brand and heat it, carefully, with a hair dryer to get it to stick. I use it when I run, row, etc.

Maybe you guys can convince her to use the mopbucketoficetorturedevice!!

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

Ok, just for an update, Achilles surgery 12/29/2012.....

still have bone spur in achilles...because it couldn't be removed totally....SOOOOOOO pain...

BUT, I can walk the dog...have walked 1.5 miles a few times....

but WildRoss has not offered leg massages.....

NOOOOOO to the mopbucketoficetorturedevice...though there was a day that I almost let him torture me with it!

Adventurer by choice

Glad it's healing, sorry it still hurts.

Hmmm.. no massages from Wildrosss, that needs to change. And what is a mop bucket torture device?

just to echo everyone here, you're not crazy. just go slow, and listen to your body.

"Come with me if you want to lift" -The Brominator

"Later, I would learn that coincidences are the most planned things in the world. Later, I would learn that every single moment is a coincidence." - Douglas Coupland

"Anyone who doesn't want french fries every day is a commie." - AngelaTheGeek

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

And what is a mop bucket torture device?

Oh, you sweet thing....I hate to corrupt your precious mind with this awful device...but since you asked.....

Take a mop bucket large enough to put your feet in, preferably all the way up to the knee.

Fill said mop bucket with cool water...

Place hurting leg into water....

THEN FILL THE BUCKET WITH ICE!!!!!

And, if you are WildRoss - laugh while your wife turns purple!!!!

In all fairness, he learned this from those torture creators at football....before things like this were outlawed as child abuse! ;-)

AND - this is what he does to his ankles whenever he sprains them....so, he gives it to himself...too!

Elastigirl - I'm on day 23 of yeast free diet....and the fms is almost gone, as well as a ton of other things....thanks for the heads up ....I feel so much better! Love not having fibro fog!!!!

Adventurer by choice

just to echo everyone here, you're not crazy. just go slow, and listen to your body.

Oh, if only those two things would go together in my head....slow, and listening to my body.....I WANT TO GO FAST!!!!

Ever hear that patience is a virtue? well, it's one of the fruit of the spirit...and while I'm a pretty fruity gal...that fruit has never grown very well on this here vine when it comes to me waiting to be healed!

hahahaha - the last laugh is on me, though...I'm told that it can take up to a year for an Achilles to be close to normal again!

At first, I gave it 3 months....until the doc reminded me he said 6 months.

Then when I reminded him that 6 months was almost up....he said, and I quote:

"I said 6 months TO A YEAR! it went in one ear and out the other, didn't it?"

uh, yup! :topsy_turvy:

Adventurer by choice

Ice bucket = ice bucket of AWESOMENESS!!!

When I was recovering from PT after horrid ankle surgery (#3 the last time), they had the ice boot! I LOVED the ice boot! I requested it. I asked if I could take it home and keep it as a pet. I loved that thing.

I learned to really love PT'ing and learning all the stuff I could do again. Sorry you're still in so much pain though.

Yoda voice: 3 months it won't be. 6 months probably not it will be. Year probably it will be.

Set a HUGE goal for your one year celebration (and you'll be pain free if you do exactly what PT tells you). Mine was a gentle hiking trip. And I did it. Only a few miles a day but did some every day and only one or two climbs, but I did it. AND I have to tell you - it was awesome. Because a tough surgery is tough to recover from.

The other thing I'll say - is really really work with your PT. Mine knew I wouldn't just sit around b/c I was really honest with her and she knew my goals were hardcore. For example, if she said do exercise X several times a day, I asked: exactly how many? And I only did that number. Then I asked: how many days a week? and did only that. Otherwise, I'd do more. I knew I would overdo it. I also asked for home and gym programs. Should have seen me in my cast at the gym. Ha ha ha.

I'm so glad you are up and around!!!!!!!!!

I AM going the distance

Ice bucket = ice bucket of AWESOMENESS!!!

When I was recovering from PT after horrid ankle surgery (#3 the last time), they had the ice boot! I LOVED the ice boot! I requested it. I asked if I could take it home and keep it as a pet. I loved that thing.

WAIT....I LOVE THE ICE BOOT! but not the bucket! ;-)

I learned to really love PT'ing and learning all the stuff I could do again. Sorry you're still in so much pain though.

Yoda voice: 3 months it won't be. 6 months probably not it will be. Year probably it will be.

Set a HUGE goal for your one year celebration (and you'll be pain free if you do exactly what PT tells you). Mine was a gentle hiking trip. And I did it. Only a few miles a day but did some every day and only one or two climbs, but I did it. AND I have to tell you - it was awesome. Because a tough surgery is tough to recover from.

The other thing I'll say - is really really work with your PT. Mine knew I wouldn't just sit around b/c I was really honest with her and she knew my goals were hardcore. For example, if she said do exercise X several times a day, I asked: exactly how many? And I only did that number. Then I asked: how many days a week? and did only that. Otherwise, I'd do more. I knew I would overdo it. I also asked for home and gym programs. Should have seen me in my cast at the gym. Ha ha ha.

I'm so glad you are up and around!!!!!!!!!

One year, I had a PT tell me to roll a tennis ball around the bottom of my foot, to relieve plantar faciatis...didn't tell me how many times a day, or how much...'whenever you feel like it'.

Well - I went back, not able to walk, and he asked my husband how often I'd done it...4x day for 1 hour a time....a little is good, more is better?????

Oh the stories we could share, I bet!

Soooooooo, I'm thinkin' the hike into Grand Canyon would not be on your list of "gentle hiking trip"? Into, maybe, out of, not so much! I do want to complete the three segments of a Sprint Tri - with my 5k walk under 1 hour. Don't know that I can DO a sanctioned TRI - but I believe I can get back to where I can do the three segments, hopefully in one day.

First celebration will be when I can walk 5k on the beach again!

Shoot, it will be when I can walk 5k again!

AND get up on my toes with my left foot!

And, hopefully you don't have to go through another surgery - but now they have a heat/cool contraption...it can do both! WILD!!!!

Thanks for your wonderful thoughts!

Adventurer by choice

Soooooooo, I'm thinkin' the hike into Grand Canyon would not be on your list of "gentle hiking trip"? Into, maybe, out of, not so much! I do want to complete the three segments of a Sprint Tri - with my 5k walk under 1 hour. Don't know that I can DO a sanctioned TRI - but I believe I can get back to where I can do the three segments, hopefully in one day.

Actually, this is a really really good goal. The biking is good for you (whenever PTsays so...LOL). Swimming was off limits for me with the ankle surgery b/c it's so hard on the ankle. But once I was fully PT'd I got the blessing. 1 year later my ankle still sometimes feels sore after swimming. I'll bet you can swim now. So you are probably 2/3 of the way to your sprint tri!!!!

First celebration will be when I can walk 5k on the beach again!

Shoot, it will be when I can walk 5k again!

AND get up on my toes with my left foot!

My goals after the 2nd and 3rd surgeries were 1) to get up on my toes on my bad foot only, 2) to be able to hop on that leg, and 3) to be able to run (any distance I didn't care). I managed all three within 6 months of my surgery. The running was just a short trot, but I did it. I know what it feels like to want to get on the toes.... people think it's silly but it's so important for some reason.

I AM going the distance

Actually, this is a really really good goal. The biking is good for you (whenever PTsays so...LOL). Swimming was off limits for me with the ankle surgery b/c it's so hard on the ankle. But once I was fully PT'd I got the blessing. 1 year later my ankle still sometimes feels sore after swimming. I'll bet you can swim now. So you are probably 2/3 of the way to your sprint tri!!!!

My goals after the 2nd and 3rd surgeries were 1) to get up on my toes on my bad foot only, 2) to be able to hop on that leg, and 3) to be able to run (any distance I didn't care). I managed all three within 6 months of my surgery. The running was just a short trot, but I did it. I know what it feels like to want to get on the toes.... people think it's silly but it's so important for some reason.

EXACTLY!!!! it's amazing what all those tendons do, and how they work together for stable movement!!! And it was so eery when I couldn't even pick my left foot up on it's own! no hop, no upward movement...it felt like it was in cement...a really creepy feeling! I would be screaming at it to move...and it just stayed right there...doing nothing! Praise GOD that it's moving again!

I am walking without the swelling...and I just got the blessing to swim...YEA!!! and bike...YEA! I've been released from PT, because the strength is all back...the one issue is getting used to the little bit of pain from the piece of bone they had to leave in the Achilles to maintain integrity(I'm not a doctor, and I don't play one on TV!). The biggest hindrance to full recovery is the extra 125#s I carry around on top of those little wondrous machines called ankles!

My challenge goal is to be able to get up on both toes 10 times each day...shifting the weight more and more to the left ankle. (Interestingly enough...the 'strong' ankle is the one I've had three surgeries on in the last two years...it's just had over a year to recover from the last one!). Then, to let my weight down from the upward position with my left ankle. Then - to do toe raises just with my left ankle. While I'm doing the work on the left, I'm remembering to strengthen the right!

Walking, and eventual running, is so difficult without the ability to get up on your toes...the stride just isn't right!

Cline - you are a wonderful inspiration! Thank you!!!!

Adventurer by choice