Forums are back in action! ×

Skip straight to cutting?

After about 3 weeks of reading threads about building/cutting, I'm still confused.

Ok, I'm female, 5'4", 130 lbs., 24.9% BF (estimated using military calculator)

My goal is 20%...which, according to online calculators, isn't that much weight to lose...somewhere in the neighborhood of 6-7 lbs. of fat. Should I switch to a more aggressive "cutting" diet plan, seeing as I don't have that much to lose, or should I just continue my Paleo/IF plan? I'm losing inches each week, but I'm wondering if there's a better option. Pros and cons of each choice (one will take longer, etc.)?

Thanks!

The old believe everything; the middle aged suspect everything: the young know everything.

~Oscar Wilde

From what I've read, paleo/IF is a pretty solid cut plan. Where are you in regards to calorie intake versus expenditure? Even with a perfect paleo diet, you won't lose much fat without at least a minimal calorie deficit. Either way, whittling off the last few pounds of fat takes time. Just be patient, keep eating well, and kill it in the gym, and you'll see results.

Never think of pain or danger or enemies a moment longer than is necessary to fight them. -Ayn Rand

Amongst those less skilled you can see all this energy escaping through contorted faces, gritted teeth and tight shoulders that consume huge

amounts of effort but contribute nothing to achieving the task.

From what I've read, paleo/IF is a pretty solid cut plan. Where are you in regards to calorie intake versus expenditure? Even with a perfect paleo diet, you won't lose much fat without at least a minimal calorie deficit. Either way, whittling off the last few pounds of fat takes time. Just be patient, keep eating well, and kill it in the gym, and you'll see results.

Thanks! I'm usually averaging a 2500-3500 cal deficit each week, according to myfitnesspal. I just added in heavy lower body days alternating with the upper body, so I'm sure that's going to up my calorie expenditure. Just trying to assure myself that I do/don't need to be going more aggressive. I don't want to lose the strength gains I've worked so hard for, but I don't want to gain the fat I've worked hard to lose either.

Ok, eat clean, lift heavy. Got it!

The old believe everything; the middle aged suspect everything: the young know everything.

~Oscar Wilde

If you are working out consistently and your diet is working and you are a woman who has children and thus has figured out a way to fit this ALL into her busy schedule without feeling like a butt nugget at the end of the day, stick with what you are doing. First, your skin will thank you because if you lose weight too fast you will get sagging. Second, your muscles will thank you--if you try to maintain a lifting program with too bid a deficit, you will get some muscle loss. If you are losing inches and slowly losing pounds and just upped your heavy lifting WHY would you gain back fat????? Think of it logically...and stick to your great plan!!!

The real world is bizarre enough for me....Blue Oyster Cult!

Oystergirl: Bad Assed Lightcaster (aka wizard!)

STR: 2 | DEX: 3 | CON: 3 | STA: 2 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 5

Oystergirl's Bad Ass Lightcaster Wicked Rocking Adventure Challenge!

Come visit my wicked rocking Nerd Fitness blog!

Guest Eduard
Should I switch to a more aggressive "cutting" diet plan, seeing as I don't have that much to lose, or should I just continue my Paleo/IF plan?

Thanks!

There's no reason to switch from it if it works for you. Anyway, your calorie deficit isn't that big, but if you went on and tried to lose several pounds a week (which is how I define "aggressive cutting"), you'd lose a lot of muscle with it. :dispirited:

Either way, whittling off the last few pounds of fat takes time. Just be patient, keep eating well, and kill it in the gym, and you'll see results.

Yeah, but she was talking about going from 25% to 20% BF, which is far from being "the last few pounds". Don't scare mrs. Supermom. :smug:

After about 3 weeks of reading threads about building/cutting, I'm still confused.

Ok, I'm female, 5'4", 130 lbs., 24.9% BF (estimated using military calculator)

My goal is 20%...which, according to online calculators, isn't that much weight to lose...somewhere in the neighborhood of 6-7 lbs. of fat. Should I switch to a more aggressive "cutting" diet plan, seeing as I don't have that much to lose, or should I just continue my Paleo/IF plan? I'm losing inches each week, but I'm wondering if there's a better option. Pros and cons of each choice (one will take longer, etc.)?

Thanks!

I know lots of people advocate the whole 'lose fat gain strength simultaneously' bit, but I would say be more aggressive on that first cut, regardless.

It's much easier to lose fat when you don't hold onto the 'dont lose ANY muscle mass) mentality. A lot of people shoot themselves in the foot, calf, and upper thigh in that order when it comes to cutting because they 43AR teh epic muskull loses !!1!!1

I mean, yes you've gained strength, which you could maintain very well on a fat loss plan. But IMO, based on what I've seen real-world, it's easier to just get your desired leanness level (which is actually probably a bit lower than you think), and then maintain that while building muscle.

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

I know lots of people advocate the whole 'lose fat gain strength simultaneously' bit, but I would say be more aggressive on that first cut, regardless.

This.

IMHO the first cut should be almost as aggressive as you can possibly maintain or your body will maintain. Still try to gain strength, but I wouldn't tailor diet to it in the least bit except an increased protein intake. Worry about gaining muscle after the cut is done. As a positive side effect this is quite possibly the best way I've found yet to "end" a diet, which there is sparse info about doing and most people get wrong.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!