Forums are back in action! ×

Stretching

I'm looking for some good resources for stretching. I tried googling, but found nothing serious. Only some general principles or just a few exercises, but nothing complex like a whole programme.

Do you guys know about anything? I would like something really serious, something that would help me get really flexible (think martial arts, or even balet...). But not only individual exercises, but a whole guide, like Rebel Strenght Guide, only for stretching (if something like that even exists).

Or do you have any other recommendations? I'm really lost here.

My introduction My 6-week challenge

Gamers raising money for kids in Africa - Sharecraft 2012 - please consider donating

I apologize for any grammar errors in my posts. English is a foreign language for me.

I don't know a stretching routine or guide online sorry. I started yoga for stretching and flexibility just recently in the hope that it helps with capoeira. Can't really say if it is helping yet but the exercises are sure for flexibility and you get a good stretch out of it.

pre-Assassin

Clear eyes, full heart, can't lose!

Twitter

Seems like most of the research today suggests that static stretches ahead of a workout (the traditional toe touching, hold for 10 seconds type) aren't very useful in preventing injury. Instead, you should use dynamic stretches, which are series of easy, repetive movements designed to loosen muscles up and increase blood flow.

Here is a series of dynamic stretches I normally follow before going for a run: http://strengthrunning.com/2011/07/the-standard-warm-up-video-demonstration/

You can do part or all of this routine as a good warm up. I normally save my static stretches until after my workout.

"Fortune favors the prepared mind"

Seems like most of the research today suggests that static stretches ahead of a workout (the traditional toe touching, hold for 10 seconds type) aren't very useful in preventing injury. Instead, you should use dynamic stretches, which are series of easy, repetive movements designed to loosen muscles up and increase blood flow.

Here is a series of dynamic stretches I normally follow before going for a run: http://strengthrunning.com/2011/07/the-standard-warm-up-video-demonstration/

You can do part or all of this routine as a good warm up. I normally save my static stretches until after my workout.

Yup, read this in Steve's running guide too. Stretching after is best.

I think one of the reasons you might not be able to find a whole in-depth stretching program, is that flexibility training needs to be somewhat individualized to your body... at least if you're going for serious flexibility. I easily found on google a lot of basic stretching programs for desk jockeys, but I don't think that's what you're aiming for. But say, if you want to improve your flexibility to improve your front kick in martial arts, it depends a lot on where you're starting from (can you kick to hip height or above already?), what parts of your body are impeding flexibility (it may be your hamstrings or it may be pelvic/lower back mobility) or even if you have hyperflexible parts of your body with weak opposing muscles. So getting you there is going to require different stretches depending on what's holding you back.

If you want to go beyond that, I think the easiest thing to find for free on the net would be some good yoga tutorials on youtube. Or doing the mobility WOD. If you want to go beyond free resources, there are some good DVDs out there, either some well rounded yoga videos (I like Rodney Yee for beginners), or dance stretch videos, or even some martial arts flexibility videos. The best thing I can recommend though is to get some in person instruction... at least until you learn the basics of a routine that works for you. Where are you going to get in person instruction? Well you mentioned martial arts and dance... go to a martial arts studio and get started, or take a class for adult dancers (in the US most are very welcoming of men). Or of course, a yoga studio. Or from your profile it looks like you have access to a parkour studio, go in and ask them about flexibility training.

-jj

NF: Treedwelling assasin. Druidish leanings. Gnome.  

IRL: Amateur circus geek.  Mad cook. Mom. Mad Max junkie. 

I am with Alice and that girl on this. Basic stretching, steve has a good resource on that but if you want to go beyond that it depends on a lot of things. As a hyper flexible X-dancer what I do to stretch would probably kill you, but ask me to sit with my feet touching and my knees out and I have knees pointing to the sky because i have vertical flexibility but little rotational flexibility. Everything I learned about stretching I learned from doing ballet, Yoga and suprisingly Judo...I would check out some You-tube on those things. Best of luck!

The real world is bizarre enough for me....Blue Oyster Cult!

Oystergirl: Bad Assed Lightcaster (aka wizard!)

STR: 2 | DEX: 3 | CON: 3 | STA: 2 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 5

Oystergirl's Bad Ass Lightcaster Wicked Rocking Adventure Challenge!

Come visit my wicked rocking Nerd Fitness blog!