Forums are back in action! ×

Well, what's YOUR life worth to you?  That's how much you should be putting into making it better. 

Want strength?  I can't sell it to you, but it's yours if you're willing to invest a few hours a week in training.  (Consistently!)  Want a tasty nutritious dinner?  Pick up a knife and get cookin.  (No it won't be as tasty as restaurant fare the first 20 times.  But it will get tastier with practice and study.)  Want more energy?  Get more zzzs and don't eat toomuch crap.  All this stuff is in your control and the price is reasonable.  So do you want it enough to pay the price... or not?

• Like 1

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 11:51 PM, Raincloak said:

Well, what's YOUR life worth to you?  That's how much you should be putting into making it better. 

Want strength?  I can't sell it to you, but it's yours if you're willing to invest a few hours a week in training.  (Consistently!)  Want a tasty nutritious dinner?  Pick up a knife and get cookin.  (No it won't be as tasty as restaurant fare the first 20 times.  But it will get tastier with practice and study.)  Want more energy?  Get more zzzs and don't eat toomuch crap.  All this stuff is in your control and the price is reasonable.  So do you want it enough to pay the price... or not?

That's a BAD question to ask. I'm recovering from depression, but that's one of the areas that still needs a LOT of work. At this point in my life, I love my life, but it's not worth much. Part of it is because of my Nice Guy persona (as described by Robert Glover in No More Mr. Nice Guy); I live to please, and always place others above myself. But we're not going to get into that.

As for the second part, I can guarantee I cook and workout longer, harder, and better than you. So you can take that statement back to the store and return it for store credit. As for sleep, I sacrifice sleep (and my social life) so I can cook and workout longer, while still managing my career and academics. My days are full.

Maybe you're giving up too much sleep (and social life) for training and cooking. I can't talk for your situation but occasionally you just need to dial back the training a bit and not relax, but just recover. Alan Thrall has a video about overtraining. Maybe give it a look and see does it sound like what's going on with you? If that doesn't work I'll shout encouragement at you till you're back on your feet.

12 hours ago, neomattlac said:

I'm recovering from depression, but that's one of the areas that still needs a LOT of work. At this point in my life, I love my life, but it's not worth much. Part of it is because of my Nice Guy persona (as described by Robert Glover in No More Mr. Nice Guy); I live to please, and always place others above myself. But we're not going to get into that.

As for the second part, I can guarantee I cook and workout longer, harder, and better than you. So you can take that statement back to the store and return it for store credit. As for sleep, I sacrifice sleep (and my social life) so I can cook and workout longer, while still managing my career and academics. My days are full.

The answer is within you, grasshopper.   You're not low on fuel.  You're depressed, sleep deprived and isolated.  No wonder you feel like crap!  I've been there.  It sucks.

Those three problems all feed off one another, so to feel better, you'll probably need to treat all three.  Lack of sleep is the easiest one to cure; I'd suggest you cut back your other activities and spend more time on the mattress.  You will get far more benefit from your studies, workouts, etc. if you're properly rested, so you won't lose anything by spending less time on them.

Once you get past the sleep problem, you also need to make time for fun while awake.  If your workouts aren't fun and emotionally renewing, maybe you should do a different workout (or at least a shorter one).  If you find a partner or group to play with, you could get exercise AND fun AND social engagement all at the same time.  Or, you know, you could just do a quick HIIT workout and then go hang with people, but getting multiple objectives done at once is good if you're short on time.

You need and deserve self-care, and that includes rest and renewal.  From the sound of it, you're already aware of your martyr/doormat tendencies, which is a great start.  Noticing the pattern is the first step to changing it.  The next step is actually changing it, and continuing to make changes over and over so you don't drift back to the miserable place.  If you aren't already getting professional and/or medical help with this, please consider it.  You don't have to live like a doormat.  This is a thing that you can change.  You are allowed, nay entitled, to ask for help.

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

On 12/16/2016 at 10:28 AM, PadraigS said:

Maybe you're giving up too much sleep (and social life) for training and cooking. I can't talk for your situation but occasionally you just need to dial back the training a bit and not relax, but just recover. Alan Thrall has a video about overtraining. Maybe give it a look and see does it sound like what's going on with you? If that doesn't work I'll shout encouragement at you till you're back on your feet.

You might be onto something. Usually, by the end of my workout week, I feel empty on energy.

19 hours ago, Raincloak said:

The answer is within you, grasshopper.   You're not low on fuel.  You're depressed, sleep deprived and isolated.  No wonder you feel like crap!  I've been there.  It sucks.

Once you get past the sleep problem, you also need to make time for fun while awake.

You are allowed, nay entitled, to ask for help.

I get angry at myself a lot, when I can't reach my obligations. I'm one of those people who will take everyone's tasks and complete them, while they all go to a party or something. 

I am seeing someone about it. While they used to seem to help, and maybe I'm sharing the wrong info, they don't seem to be able to help lately. Part of this is that, despite the age difference (which is fucking me up, because she's 40 and I'm 26, but I can't tell age), I think I've developed a crush on her because of our similarities. Fuck.

Anyways, one more day, and my semester will be over. Unless I finish tonight, which I'm hoping to.