Forums are back in action! ×

Finding time for myself

I'm a mom of 2 kids. Lately I've been wanting to go to study somewhere, so when my kids are grown I could give some time to my hobbies. Here  http://cjonline.com/blog-post/tommy-wyher/2016-10-24/how-find-balance-during-your-busy-college-schedule I read lots of interesting tips but I don't know how relevant they are. How do you guys cope with kids and work or what is that you do?

It was very integral to have a schedule, albeit a flexible one. Everyone knew what was coming next so there were few power struggles about bed time and such. For me, kids went to bed at 8 and I did my studying after that. When they were up they had my full attention, so that there wasn't any insecurity about why Mama had to go to class/clinicals/work. I kept my stress to myself so I still got to enjoy life and my kids. I wasn't afraid to ask for help. I asked if I needed help watching kids so I could get an assignment done. When my computer broke instead of panicking I asked a cohort that worked IT and she sold me an old computer she was getting rid of for $20 to get me through the last few semesters. Communicate with your professors. When I found out I was pregnant with #3 I told my professors so they knew if I was late or lethargic it was due to morning sickness and not disrespect. The next semester I told my professors before the semester when I was due and worked ahead as much as possible so I didn't get behind when I had him. They also let me do an alternative assignment when I went into labor while I was supposed to be watching a play to critique.

To oversimplify: time management, flexibility and ask for help

Mama Gnome, Healer and Crafter

Keeper of the Five Hobbits

All Around Awesome