Forums are back in action! ×

Back on the trail

It's been a pretty nutso year.  Moved across the country to live with my Dad who I had never met before, got my learner's permit for driving and learning to do that.  Still trying to find work and failing because the area we live in...I really need my license.  All of these things compounded into "I'll worry about getting back on track later."

Welp, I guess it's later, because my gym membership is costing me money every month, and with the heat at this time of year, I can't really work out outside anyway.  

I've got a year and a half to train for my first thru-hike: the Bibbulmun.  In that time I need to increase my endurance and overall fitness, get the money together for equipment and for the hike itself, and make sure I have all the basic knowledge I need to be traipsing through the Aussie wilderness (yay tiger snakes).  

So I better get started now!

"It's no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then."  ~Alice

13 hours ago, Beals said:

Wow, that thru hike looks amazing! I'm dying to do one but swinging that many weeks of no income is tough. Good luck with it!!!

Thanks!

Yeah I think it would be tough for most people to swing that many weeks of no income.  Luckily for me I live with family now so I'm not paying rent and don't need to worry about an eviction notice when I get home.

If you can figure out a way to make it work though, I would definitely say go for it, I'm all about living forwards :)

"It's no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then."  ~Alice

19 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

If you can figure out a way to make it work though, I would definitely say go for it, I'm all about living forwards :)

I'll figure it out at some point in the upcoming years :)

I like the trail you're targeting too because of the sleeping huts they have (or whatever they're called), plus the trail markers, plus the seminars!! It seems very beginner friendly. I've been looking at hikes like the AT and honestly, I'd need a few other hikes under my belt before attempting that one. I haven't found one in central Canada/Eastern US that seems good for my level, but the Wales Coastal Trail and the Camino de Santiago seem like good starter options.  Curse my location!!

I'm super intrigued by what you're doing though. Keep us posted on the mile stones you hit on the way!  

21 hours ago, LadyMonk said:

Hey Beals, I am interested in doing something in the US (I live in Chicago) if you're looking for a buddy! 

It's actually really rude to hijack someone's thread like this.  Just sayin'.