Forums are back in action! ×

Not The New Years Resolution You Were Looking For

Hey, everybody!

My name's David and I am no fitness junkie.  I geeked out in high school using some of the same thought processes that NF is offering, i.e. ten push ups gave me a point toward STR, running the five flights of stairs without skipping one in a given time raised my AGL, etc.  Over the years, though, I gave into laziness and put off the workouts.  And with that came an overabundance of snacks and more couch time than walking time, which leads to some back pain and running out of breath.  After seeing the doctor, it was suggested (read "required") that I rethink my diet and my lifestyle.  And so here I am.

I need to get back in shape and have been trying to be more active.  Unfortunately, the eating habit has been the most difficult challenge.  As far as the workouts that I do, I participate with the SCA crowd on the rapier field but began a move towards heavy.  So my focus will be weight training, endurance, and rebuilding core strength.  Any help is always good and it seems like this is a pretty supportive place!  I look forward to figuring out what class I need to be and getting back in shape!

Thanks, everyone!

Welcome on board @PandemoniumRave!

Have you had a chance to look around and figure things out yet? I see you have chosen a guild, are you going to create a character and an Epic Quest? You don't have to but it seems like you would enjoy having a character and allocating STR, AGL etc for each accomplishment. Most people allocate their points for completing certain quests in their challenges though you can work it however you want. 

The next challenge starts on Monday, are you going to join in? It's a great way of keeping on track, getting some accountability and making friends. If you need any help or advice then just ask. :) 

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

Check out this page for the guidelines and explanations. There's a link to the Character Creation thingy there too. Your Epic Quest is your overall goals, the things you'd like to complete in the mid to long term, your short term or challenge goals should be things that help you to achieve those things. Your challenge goals should be SMART - specific, measurable, attainable, realistic, and timely. The goal here is to create permanent change so in actual fact, the smaller the goals the better. If you can keep it up for 4 weeks straight then you will probably keep it up for good.

The main reason people fail at their challenge is that they set out to change too much at once so keep it simple. You can post your challenge in character and allocate your character XP for completing each goal, or just ignore all that stuff and just write out your goals. 

Here's some examples of some challenges of people's previous challenges to give you some ideas. 

You can can post your Epic Quest here

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously