Forums are back in action! ×

Time to stop lurking

Hey all - I finally decided to stop just reading the forums and actually join so I can do my first challenge.  I've always been out of shape and slow, and usually overweight.  In 6th grade, I decided to take the presidential fitness tests separately, trained for the 600 yard run for a couple of months with parental help, and still didn't make even the basic time.  At that point I basically gave up on trying.  A few years ago, I found crossfit which got me in decent enough shape to get off the blood pressure medicine, but I fell off after a while (metcons get boring).  It taught me to love moving heavy things, but I still hate and suck at anything resembling cardio...I broke a 15 minute mile once.  Ever. 

At this point I'm trying to get semi-serious about USAWA lifting, so need to increase my power and strength base, and want to get down to the 85kg weight class.  However, I am also sick of being the first one the zombies will catch, and am trying to get in better cardio shape.  My diet is finally under control, but I know I need help with exercise motivation...I usually spend several days planning what to do, am great for 3 or 4 days, and then stop for a month or so at which point the cycle starts over.  I'm really hoping the accountability of a challenge will help.

I'm super impressed that as a 6th grader you trained to try and pass the presidential fitness test, even if you didn't make it. I just figured I was alwasy doomed at it, so why even bother.:lol:

This is a great place for accountability. Have you started a  challenge yet? Joining a guild (hint Rangers are awesome) and setting up a challenge is a great way to get  accountability and encouragement .

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Thanks!  I was just so sick in school of failing every test except sit-ups every single time.  So I got motivated, worked hard, and failed every single test except sit-ups.  It took about 30 years to realize the lesson wasn't actually that motivation and effort are pointless.  I just set up my first challenge - as a Rebel - and joined one of the PvP challenges.  I'm really looking forward to taking charge of my life

I could only pass sit ups too! It was so funny in ROTC when I was the cubby one, but could out sit-up all but two girls. I only passed the PT test once, and that was after a week of mini-bootcamp. I honestly never thought I would be able to do cardio, but once I found an end goal (5k) and broke it down into small manageable goals (kind of like a couch to 5k program) it wasn't intimidating and I made progress very quickly. Just finding something you can enjoy (or tolerate long enough to become enjoyable) makes a huge difference. Good luck!

Mama Gnome, Healer and Crafter

Keeper of the Five Hobbits

All Around Awesome