Forums are back in action! ×

I'm not dead yet...

Hi all, I am back to NerdFitness after about 4 or 5 years of going it alone.  Things went well; I was in the best shape of my life.  Then the unforeseen happened in March of 2016.  I was at work driving when a semi pulled out in front of me while I was travelling 40 mph.  I crashed into the rear passenger side of his cab, and well, I got messed up.  I fractured six ribs and my sternum.  I sustained puncture wounds to my right knee.   Tore my left ACL.  I have an (have a doctor's appointment tomorrow!) undiagnosed injury to my left foot which caused my arches to collapse, my ankle to pronate, and looks like my tibia is beginning to spiral in toward my midline.  I have been off work since the crash and have put on 25 lbs, and have gotten out of shape.  I know that I can work on my upper body at the gym but haven't been going as much as I should.  I did get my ACL reconstructed at the end of June, and my recovery has gone well.  My leg still isn't where I would like it to be.  On a positive life change, I enrolled to go back to school to get my bachelor's degree!  I start this month!  I have also finished all of the coursework to get my 200 hr YTT (yoga teacher) certification, and just have to take my final exam and practice teach!

I am going to work on establishing good study habits.  I am starting the Whole 30 plan this month, and plan on staying mostly paleo to get my health back.  I am going to decide about working out once I know if I need another surgery.  I am also soul-searching right now and am looking at becoming a hospital chaplain after I retire in twelve years.  I am happy to be back, I need the support, and hope that I can help you in your goals as well!

Wow, that sounds like 2016  was rough. Way to go on levelling up your life with school and yoga in spite of life's difficulties.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Hi! I'm really sorry to hear about your accident, I've been through something similar so I really do have sympathy.  I'm sure it's still early days in terms of your recovery, you don't suffer broken bones without doing a LOT of damage to the soft tissues surrounding them.  It will no doubt take another couple of years before you can consider yourself fully healed.  Have you any idea when you will be fit to return to work?

Im glad that some positive things have come from your experience, congrats on completing your yoga course and on enrolling at school, that's a fantastic outcome. 

Are you finding your way around all right? There's been a few changes over the last 4-5 years but nothing enormous. The Accademy was launched a few years back, its like a course....? I dunno, not my gig, but if you want more structure than the forum alone can offer you then it's worth checking out.  The challenges are only4 weeks long these days and there's a character creation thingy if you want to create your own character and award yourself XP for achieving your goals during the challenges. They also launched Camp Nerd Fitness a couple of years ago which you might see reference to in the forums.

I hope you enjoy being back and look forward to seeing you around. :) 

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously