Forums are back in action! ×

Depression meds and working out

Hey guys,

So here's the situation. I take meds for my depression (pristiq). The meds work wonders for my depression but have the unfortunate side effect of giving me low level nausea a lot of the time and making me sweat a lot. I've also gained a bunch of weight since starting to take them. Not helped by the fact that low level snacking helps with the nausea. Stopping or changing the medication is out of the question at the moment as they've been incredibly successful in letting me get my life back together. However I feel like I can't really exercise anymore and that is pretty frustrating. 

I was hoping that you guys might have a suggestion for dealing with nausea when working out. Also suggestions for snacks that might help line my stomach to stop the nausea but will not be bad for me.  

Depending on your med taking it with a bit more substantial food, preferably something with protein  might help for the initial bit, but the other consideration is, that I'm hearing a fair few negative side effects there. I have to ask. Is this the right med for you? (background: I am a nurse. If you can't take your med daily without it majorly impacting your life, I would be talking to my doctor regarding other options). That said, if you've tried a few and found this the best for you...Good luck and may the force be with you. 

Cheers, thanks a lot for the advice :)

Yeah this has been the best of a bunch and the positives most definitely outweigh the negatives (I was barely functioning before I started taking medication). The nausea has definitely settled down a lot from when I first started taking it. It just tends to rear its head again when I start to exercise. I've bought some ginger from the store and I'm gonna make some iced tea with it and see if that helps.