Forums are back in action! ×

What's more important

what's more important for training for an obstacle course run, muscular endurance, or muscular strength? I would guess endurance, so I should switch my routine up to high reps low weight?

BUT, If I am training for a 5k, - couch to 5k, should I stick to my 5x5 with the 5k training?

Never let your fear decide your fate.

I get pretty serious about things though. And I blow things out of proportion. I'm pretty sure I could walk into it with no training like 70% of the people will, but how the hell is that fun? Nah, I'll over do it, train like it's the end of the world. That's my style. lol.

I get pretty serious about things though. And I blow things out of proportion. I'm pretty sure I could walk into it with no training like 70% of the people will, but how the hell is that fun? Nah, I'll over do it, train like it's the end of the world. That's my style. lol.

Learn to leap frog over your competition for extra difficulty :D

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

I'm "training" for the zombie obstacle 5k myself. And by "training", I mean recruiting a meat tank off of fitocracy to run interference for me.

As for real training, I haven't changed anything from the norm. I run a 5k or greater distance once a week and stick with my usual 5x5 lifting routine. I don't think there is anything too extreme in these things that would require me to train at hurdles or climbing rope or long jump or fencing or moonwalking or anything...

You ever see those guys who look like they totally used to be in shape?
I'm working to get back to that...

I'm "training" for the zombie obstacle 5k myself. And by "training", I mean recruiting a meat tank off of fitocracy to run interference for me.

As for real training, I haven't changed anything from the norm. I run a 5k or greater distance once a week and stick with my usual 5x5 lifting routine. I don't think there is anything too extreme in these things that would require me to train at hurdles or climbing rope or long jump or fencing or moonwalking or anything...

First: I wouldn't worry about C25K interfering with 5x5.

Next: The level of running training vs strength vs strength endurance depends on what race it is. I've heard, like bigm, that there can be lots of waiting in line at the obstacles. But the zombie 5ks would have a lot more jog/sprint than some of the others where you could go pretty steady-state between obstacles. Do you know what the obstacles are?

The Tin Man: Cyborg Ranger

Tin Man's Out of Date Epic Quest

I am what I do.

it's the zombie 5K....not sure what the obstacles are...but from what I see, it's a giant haystack, a rope climb.....that sort of thing. sprinting in between....

I'm not familiar with C25K, but you might want to consider some sprinting, especially if you plan on doing that in the race. Get a fair distance (500m-1k) and run it at a few seconds below your 5k pace three or four times. If you're looking for variety on running days, try a sprint/bodyweight circuit. They can be pretty grueling, and it helps you get used to the endurance/power combination.

Never think of pain or danger or enemies a moment longer than is necessary to fight them. -Ayn Rand

Amongst those less skilled you can see all this energy escaping through contorted faces, gritted teeth and tight shoulders that consume huge

amounts of effort but contribute nothing to achieving the task.

For obstacle runs, it's usually a good idea to train by adding intervals into your workout. Essentially, that's what the obstacles will be mimicking - an anaerobic insertion into an otherwise fairly normal/simple run with friends... at least in my experience. You'll want to raise your anaerobic threshold (the point where you just can't take it anymore) so that when you come across a big bale of hay, you can find it in you to scramble/jump over it or what have you.

For example, if you're into functional training, try adding some plyometric supersets into your routine as such:

-squats, jump squats

-jumping jacks, tuck jumps

-side lunges, skater jumps

-pushups, burpees

-mountain climbers, squat thrusts

Do each set for a minute (so, 30 sec for each exercise), and repeat 3 times. This is all after any strength training you'd like to do of course.

Just a suggestion! :)

My sister=in=law does those national mud races dressed as a super girl...she places quite well with her partner but all she does weekly is bike a bit, swim and run....Not sure this is the same thing, but if you have been consistent with doing some muscle exercises and some running, you should be fine...now, for the zombies...watch zombie land and remember to always double tap! :)

The real world is bizarre enough for me....Blue Oyster Cult!

Oystergirl: Bad Assed Lightcaster (aka wizard!)

STR: 2 | DEX: 3 | CON: 3 | STA: 2 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 5

Oystergirl's Bad Ass Lightcaster Wicked Rocking Adventure Challenge!

Come visit my wicked rocking Nerd Fitness blog!

I don't run. I've never ran before. Elliptical yes, but that's a whole different world. I have some muscular endurance, but not near what I'd like to have. I've been concentrating on strength, but I really like your suggestions sandymac, I think this is a great idea.