Forums are back in action! ×

Running

so I ran my third 5k sunday (4th Race total.. since the slat race I ran was a 5 mile not a 5k) and I was a little bummed. I was really hoping to beat my last 5k time (28:03) and instead came in

Place Div/Tot Div Guntime Name Age Sex Bib Nettime Pace

148 12/52 F2029 28:52 Melissa F 27 F 660 28:26 9:10

so I was a little heartbroken. I know I havent been feeling well but I also hadnt been training as hard as I was. Not that I want to be a marathon runner one day anyway. What I want from my Fitness is a balance of strength and cardio and be happy with me. I guess I just need to shrug it off and say yeah it wasn't my best game but I can always do better at the next.

I know I made a few mistakes (if my mapmyrun app was correct i ran my first mile in a little over 8 minutes) and i bumped into someone around mile 2 who i used to work with and i talked to her for a good minute. I just felt the need to share since I wasnt doing the challenge this time around.

I'm sorry you didn't do as well as you hoped, but good on you for doing it! Call this one a learning experience and good practice, and use it to make your next race 10x better!

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

"There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength." - Henry Rollins

I'm trying to prepare for my first 5k do you have any tips on training you could share? I'm a more than a little nervous about it because Ive never been involved in any athletic events period so I'm looking for any help I can get. Thanks!

"It's always the ones that don't do anything that try to bring you down" - Henry Rollins

"There is no meantime, there is only now" - The Ditty Bops

Trail Blazing Elf Ranger Sumdawgtwigg Level 3  STR-3 DEX-4 STA-4 CON-3 WIS-5 CHA-2

Fitocracy

My Game Blog

DO IT CHALLENGE!

I agree, considering all of your qualifiers that sounds like a great time! I'm running my second 5K in December and really hope I get a new PB.

As far as advice for a first timer, sumdawgtwigg, I was in your (running) shoes just last May after doing the C25K program. Start in the back of the pack if you are nervous - then you won't be discouraged by people passing you, and if you are passing others you'll feel great. Wear whatever you're used to running in. Have a light meal a few hours before, drink lots of water, use the bathroom just before the race. And have fun! High five spectators, encourage fellow runners, and don't worry too much about your time. Good luck!

Another factor is that not all 5ks are created equal. Hills or wind can slow you down so even if you were working harder and doing better, your time would be slower. Also, many 5k events are not exactly 5k, so it might be that one was a bit longer than the other. Just keep having fun running and you'll see the times go down. I can't wait till my times are in the 28:00's, right now I am at 34:30.