Forums are back in action! ×

Young Newbie Looking for a buddy?

Hey there! 

Being a part of this community was both exciting and scary for me, being a part of any social media I tend to hide out in the background and watch other people do amazing things. 

In terms of health and fitness the same applies, I have always wanted to be healthy but I hid and watched everyone else do things and hoped by mitosis I would somehow gain that same level of health. I obviously know this does not work and so I am hoping that being around this community will keep me accountable to everything I want to accomplish this year. 

On that note this is a bit about me: 

My name is Melissa, I am 23 years old and I live in Canada  

I am 5’3 and weigh in at 254 lbs

I love the Legend of Zelda series and love to play Minecraft 

Being a university student of english I love to read and have always enjoyed playing DND 

This year a few things I want to accomplish are: 

Lose 25% of my body weight (63 lbs) 

Make exercising a priority in my life by doing physical activity at least 3 times a week 

Perk up the courage to go to the gym 

Hopefully, I will hear from you guys soon! 

Thanks! 

In terms of physical activity, I'm hoping to go for a walk at least 3 times a week but I'm not sure what else to do. 

I enjoyed kickboxing in the past but being in university and money being tight I can't afford classes so I'm not sure what else to do. 

Walking is a good starting point but not sure where to go from there. 

In terms of food, I don't think its too bad at the moment, I discovered this year I have a gluten intolerance so I have cut out gluten entirely and I feel 1000 times better than I used to 

Again, money is the biggest factor for me as I am relying on the food bank for my food. I'm making the best choices I can but my biggest problem is not knowing how to go about cooking certain things 

For example, I have black beans and chickpeas in my cupboard but I have no clue what to do with them! I know their a good source of protein but I honestly have no idea

Chickpeas are awesome in hummus and it's super easy to make on your own if you have a blender; or even just added to a stirfry. Black beans make a killer brownie or go good in chili. 

I know the feeling with being gluten intolerant, I found that it was something I didn't notice until I cut it out, then it was damn, just how had I been functioning while eating the gluten. I've added it back in but I need to cut it out again.

Walking is an excellent starting point and there are a ton of body weight exercise training you can do for free off the next. Steve's got a great one too, with video's showing you how to do the proper move.