Forums are back in action! ×

Workout timing

Guys and gals,

I work an odd job with odd hours (night shift every other week) and I need knowledge on when is best to work out. I am currently doing the NF fitness and running rountines on alternating days until I get to the fitness level that I aspire to be. On night shift days I work out on my lunch break period and it gives me the energy to make it through the night (way better than a cup o' joe). But on days I may work 7am-530pm with an hourish for lunch. However, most days I am in the field or far away from workout land. Should I work out on lunch when I can; workout everyday before work (Steve recommended two hours wake time before working out and waking at 3am doesn't excite me); workout after work everyday around 630-7ish; or does consistent timing really matter at all? Thanks again for everyone's help in advance.

The only difference between a rut and a grave is depth.

Does anyone have any proofs/articles on physical benefits of working out at a consistent time?

To my knowledge, the only upside to working out at the same time every day is a psychological. Yes, you might get a psychosomatic benefit from a pump in adrenaline because of muscle memory... but I don't think you'll lose out any by working out at different times.

You ever see those guys who look like they totally used to be in shape?
I'm working to get back to that...

I work out at 5:30 am, five days a week, plus I try to do something on Saturdays, but not that early. I am awake about 15 min before working out.

Personally, I don't care what anyone says about the best time to work out, if I don't get it done that early, it ain't gettin' done, and any time is better than never!

My .02, for what it's worth.

The old believe everything; the middle aged suspect everything: the young know everything.

~Oscar Wilde

I work out after work bc of the time I start work, time for commute, etc. i would have to get up too early and schlep work clothes which would wrinkle, and I'd have to shower at the gym (ew).

I work out right after work during the week and habit is good for me. I love the unwinding I get from my workouts and I love the relaxed feeling I have when I get home.

On the other hand, on the weekends, I'm up early and out the door within an hour or so of getting up. Done with workout by 8 am on Saturdays!

Mix it up!

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Personally, I don't care what anyone says about the best time to work out, if I don't get it done that early, it ain't gettin' done, and any time is better than never!

My .02, for what it's worth.

+1. And if all you've got is your body weight on some weeks, then use that. Supplement with a tool bag, rock, hay bale, computer monitor, or small friend. Whatever is handy when you are "in the field".

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

I feel that for my body, getting enough sleep trumps all. I WANT SO BADLY to workout before I go to work, because 1. I feel awesome after I lift and 2. nobody is in the gym, but I work at 630am and I just can't seem to get to sleep early enough now that it's light out and I want to see sunshine after my shift! So, that fuels my decision. Even more than being self-conscious at 6pm when the gym is packed and I'm benching a coffee cup :)

I think as long as you're getting enough of a recovery period, the only way timing really makes any difference is if you're following some very specific, precision plan. Like if you were doing Leangains - 16 hour fast, biggest meal immediately post-workout, maybe working out fasted... That would be difficult with shift work. Otherwise, i really wouldn't worry about it at all. Even steve's recommendation about hours awake before working out - i've never heard that, don't do it and haven't had any problems. Do what you gotta do!

Pain is the feeling of weakness leaving the body.

Blog | Pinterest | Fitocracy

For the work-out obsessed, there are certain training methods in which your body typically recovers in 36 hours. To maximize volume, the crazier of us would workout 8 am one morning and 8pm the following day, then take the next day off before returning to it.

But yeah, other than scheduling, there is no real benefit to working out at the same time every day.

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!