Forums are back in action! ×

Longtime reader getting my feet wet in the forums

Hello all, 

My name is Robert and I am a longtime reader of Nerd Fitness but haven't ventured into the forums much. I consider myself a fairly active person. I train reguarly in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu 3-5x a week, do some MMA training, and also try to make it into the gym a couple times a week. My journey started several years ago when I just kind of had a personal revelation that I had let my health slip on my list of priorities for too long. I started working out regularly, tracking my nutrition, and after a few months I had lost 25lbs and was in really good shape. I took the foot off the proverbial gas a few years ago and slowly my weight started to creep back up and I realized that my health wasn't something I could just take for granted and I had to work on it. 

About 3 years ago I started to track my fitness journey, exploits, musings, and advice on a blog. This has been great for both my own accountability and also for me to look back periodically and see how far I have come. Also it has been pretty cool to see that there are some people out there that actually read it (I never thought anyone would actually be interested in reading it) After a few years of lurking around the forums I decided to try to be a little more active here and spend some quality internet time with like minded individuals. 

As far as the nerd part of my nerd fitness intro...I love Star Trek, the Simpsons, and most things comic book. Also my wife tells me I have an unhealthy obsession with Batman. 

Cardio is Hardio.

My Fitness Blog

Fairly active seems a bit of an understatement after perusing your blog... and I don't think you should be surprised to have some readers. From what little I skimmed through, it's pretty motivating stuff (even for someone whose not a martial artist or mma enthusiast). :acne:

I was glad you included your nerd bona fides because I initially thought you might be lost. :D

Unlike you, I have only recently discovered NF, but am thrilled by the inspiration that pervades the place. Glad you introduced yourself... who knows, maybe your blog will motivate me to join my daughter's Tae Kwon Do class. I could use a bit of extra conditioning.

• Like 1
On 1/27/2017 at 0:20 AM, SlowHorse said:

Fairly active seems a bit of an understatement after perusing your blog... and I don't think you should be surprised to have some readers. From what little I skimmed through, it's pretty motivating stuff (even for someone whose not a martial artist or mma enthusiast). :acne:

I was glad you included your nerd bona fides because I initially thought you might be lost. :D

Unlike you, I have only recently discovered NF, but am thrilled by the inspiration that pervades the place. Glad you introduced yourself... who knows, maybe your blog will motivate me to join my daughter's Tae Kwon Do class. I could use a bit of extra conditioning.

Thanks for the encouragement. I don't know anyone that has ever wished they never took martial arts...only those that wish they never quit or those that wish they would have started sooner...for what its worth.

20 hours ago, Lydiechan said:

Hey ElRoberto, sounds like you've already been where I am now - just realizing I've let things slip.  I'm glad to know there's another side.  Thanks for posting!

I think its harder when you let yourself slip because not only do you deal with the disappointment of your current state but also the disappointment of letting yourself lose it. It is a great feeling though to start to get back on top of things. 

Cardio is Hardio.

My Fitness Blog