Forums are back in action! ×

Paleo Passover/Vegetarian Breakfast

As some of you may know, Passover starts in a little under two weeks. That means for a week I can't eat any "leavened bread." I don't eat a paleo diet, but my bread consumption is pretty much limited to two slices of toast in the morning with breakfast and the occasional sandwich on a Friday at work. So for me, not eating leavened bread during Passover won't be much of a challenge. That's all well and good, and the purpose of Passover isn't really to "give something up" ala lent. The purpose of the dietary restriction is to remember our ancestors as they escaped from Egypt. So the idea is that as you're restricting your diet, you will give some thought to your history, ancestors, etc.

This year I was thinking of going vegetarian for the week. I eat a lot of meat, so this will be a nice challenge for me. But for the life of me I have no idea what I can eat for breakfast. Eggs are out, as are oatmeal, cereal, toast, and so forth. Any thoughts fellow nerds?

On a side note, if you're a Jew looking to start eating a paleo diet, Passover is a great time to start. Just stay away from the matzoh (which you probably don't like anyway).

Facebook | Twitter | Blog |

"What we face may look insurmountable. But I learned something from all those years of training and competing. I learned something from all those sets and reps when I didn't think I could lift another ounce of weight. What I learned is that we are always stronger than we know." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Toby: It's going to be hard.
Josh: Then we'll do what's hard.
- The West Wing

"A good lawyer sees trouble coming from around the corner."
-Professor Tom Ross

If you're still able (and/or willing) to eat dairy, Greek yogurt/cottage cheese with fruit and nuts is a great breakfast. You can also do "Paleo cereal" which is basically a whole bunch of different nuts and dried fruits in a bowl with some almond/coconut milk. Or, there's fruit salad with nuts. Plus, you don't necessarily have to be traditional with your breakfast foods...you can always just cook up some mixed veggies and eat them like that, too.

Current Challenge

Level 2 Human Ranger

STR 3 | DEX 2 | STA 2 | CON 2 | WIS 3 | CHA 2

Mens sana in corpore sano

I really like baked sweet potato with almond butter. You could also do peanut butter if you'd prefer.

Do you bake them the night before? Or maybe microwave them?

Facebook | Twitter | Blog |

"What we face may look insurmountable. But I learned something from all those years of training and competing. I learned something from all those sets and reps when I didn't think I could lift another ounce of weight. What I learned is that we are always stronger than we know." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Toby: It's going to be hard.
Josh: Then we'll do what's hard.
- The West Wing

"A good lawyer sees trouble coming from around the corner."
-Professor Tom Ross