Forums are back in action! ×

Hi everyone, I'm Ollie.

I've been an on-and-off reader of NF for a while now and recently picked up (and blitzed through) Level up Your Life. I've been a long-time believer in gamification, which should come as no surprise to anyone that knows me, so this book really spoke to me as someone who's aware of the method but hasn't really applied it yet.

I've been a gamer pretty much my whole life, starting with the SNES, but I've really had to cut back my game time since entering the world of adulthood. So, it's only natural that I should seek to turn my life into a game. Ticking off quests and collecting epic loot (useful rewards), it feels pretty awesome to put life into that perspective!

I'm a warrior through and through. I'm at my happiest, and the most out of my shell, when I feel strong.

Edit: or so I thought. I do seem to be developing some ranger-like tendencies...

I've regressed over the last couple of years after an injury, so I'm working to regain my strength.
I also like to eat a bit more than is good for me...
But who can honestly resist a good bit of bacon?

Resist bacon? Yeah, nah.

Welcome Ollie, nice to meet you :) the 4-week challenges are a great way to gamify your goals in a way that works for you. I found that bribing myself with sweet loot was a great motivator. xD

I feel you on the injury-caused regression; I've just snapped my ankle and I've had to start again with literally everything.

Stonie

They/Them

Currently reading: Good Omens by Terry Pratchet & Neil Gaiman

Currently playing: Outer Worlds (Xbox)

Current DnD character: A radio presenter who’s magical bardic weapon is a portable radio broadcaster’s kit

Yeesh, sorry to hear about your ankle. But glad to see you're determined :)

I've got a case of sciatica that refuses to go away completely. My knee regularly feels like it's on fire but it hasn't stopped me from walking in some time and I have some tricks to loosen it in the moment. The biggest kicker was the misdiagnosis, which taught me the value in seeking second and third opinions.

I've definitely had my eye on the challenges. I'll be away in Mallorca shortly after the start of the next one but maybe I can make it work.

• Like 1

Ahh yeah travel is a tricky one. Steve does have a few blog posts (well, at least one) about working out while away (search "hotel room workout") if you wanna start while you are on holidays, or you know, just enjoy your trip!

That sciatica sounds like a tricky thing to work with! sounds like you have it sussed though :) 

Stonie

They/Them

Currently reading: Good Omens by Terry Pratchet & Neil Gaiman

Currently playing: Outer Worlds (Xbox)

Current DnD character: A radio presenter who’s magical bardic weapon is a portable radio broadcaster’s kit