Forums are back in action! ×

Cyclists survival pack

ve not cycled outside regularly for any distance since I was in school and that was, shall we say a fair few years ago. I got my mountain bike fixed up last year, new brakes, cables etc and would really like to take advantage of this lovely weather.

So I thought I'd ask my fellow nerds what they would include in their cycle survival pack to ensure they don't get stuck miles away having to push their bike home

Puncture kit, pump, tyre levers, a multitool, a spare tube.

The idea of the tube is that you swap it out on the road, then fix the flatted one in comfort later. Gets you going fast, and means no roadside swearing as *another* patch fails to stick in the rain.

If the multitool has a spoke nipple you can bodge straight a busted-spoke wheel. If it has a chain tool you can make a Magic Gear singlespeed if your gear mechs explode.

Oh, and a little cash for phones or chocolate.

Puncture kit, pump, tyre levers, a multitool, a spare tube.

This.

Also some sort of dense high-protein snack, gel, guu, whatever to avoid a bonk, water (duh?), possibly a pocket knife, and I usually have some zip ties with me (and yes, I've used them). I also keep some duct tape with me, but I'm weird like that.

Current Challenge

Level 2 Human Ranger

STR 3 | DEX 2 | STA 2 | CON 2 | WIS 3 | CHA 2

Mens sana in corpore sano

I'm in the same situation. I haven't biked in like 12 years and I bought a used mountain bike a few days ago. I think I might replace the seat to something comfy (suggestions are welcome) and basically use it instead of my car. Maybe even go to work on it, even though it's about 10 miles. I was thinking of getting this: http://www.rei.com/product/695177/topeak-deluxe-kit and perhaps one or two tubes just in case. Hmm... Maybe pack some rain gear, depending on how bulky and heavy it is. A first aid kit would be cool too... again depending on how bulky and heavy it is.

Half-Demon Adventurer (Hoping to become an Assassin)Fitocracy |Twitter

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him." Colossians 3:17

This thread is relevant to my interests.

I haven't really packed anything, as I've just been commuting by bike, it's all within the city. Worst case scenario I'd have to drag it home about 3 miles. I don't even own a pump yet - a bike shop about 200 yards from my front door has one chained up outside for public use.

I probably should get it together though. Hm.

Pain is the feeling of weakness leaving the body.

Blog | Pinterest | Fitocracy

All the items above definitely merit inclusion. I'd add to that list:

1. Allen wrenches - used to tighten/adjust things on many bikes

2. Some kind of old rag/washcloth - to wipe grease of your hands, if it comes to that.

"Restlessness is discontent - and discontent is the first necessity of progress. Show me a thoroughly satisfied man-and I will show you a failure." -Thomas Edison

Well to start don't forget about the cycling forum. Oops I just saw it's been changed to the Scout's field.

Essentials are basically to enable you to make running repairs to decrease the likelihood of having to walk all the way back. Depending on how far you are going and what type of bike you have you would go with a saddlepack (sits under the seat) or a camelback type backpack.

Essentials

- Tell someone where you are going and when you are expected back (it seems a no-brainer but many people neglect this).

- Phone

- Money (other than the obvious can help fix tyres)

- Know-how. Know how to use your gear to fix stuff. No point in bringing it if you don't know how to use it

- Water

- ID

- Spare tube

- Patch kit

- Tyre levers

- Multi-tool (with allen keys and a few different things. Chain breaker is a bonus).

- Frame pump

Depending on how far you are going out and the conditions and what type of riding you are doing...

- Food

- First aid kit

- Lights

- Replacement chain link and tools to change one

- Zip ties

- Spare batteries

- Spare tyre

-

"I lift heavy things. Sometimes these things are people."