Forums are back in action! ×

Long Awaited Respawn

I failed horribly during the challenge before last. 

The three simple things I wanted to commit to, I didn't. One of them was the simple act of eating breakfast. I couldn't even do *that*!

Well, I've been trying to clean up my diet. I started with dinner - I said, no matter what, I would make a "healthy" dinner. For me and my vegetable hating ways, this meant something like fish and rice. And I had been managing to at least have an orange or two for breakfast, instead of just skipping it and drinking sugary coffee for lunch.

Well, I was reading about whole 30 and I realized that what I eat isn't *so* different. All I had to do was replace the rice. With vegetables.

Ew, gross...

Anyhow, I decided to try roasting vegetables. I started with carrots (ew) and green beans  (double ew) because they were cheap and I wouldn't feel bad about throwing them out when I didn't like them.

I made them with olive oil and sea salt, roasted until the outsides were nice and crispy. And I LIKED them. Like, a lot.

So I was making fish and vegetables every night for two weeks or so. I learned how much I need for just me, or if I was feeding the house. I learned how exactly I liked them. I learned that I like them fresh, not as leftovers (gag-worthy experience). Then I tried to prep fish for next day's dinner. On the day I decided to try eating lunch, I tossed some of that fish with balsamic dressing and spinach.

Then I ate it.

And I LIKED it.

A lot.

I was sad when I ran out. Who gets sad when they run out of salad!?!

Then on a very busy morning, I decided to take some fish with me for lunch, but I ended up eating it on the way to work, along with my oranges. And I was full. All day long. It was great. I am feeling good.

I tried being vegan for a long time and it just didn't work for me (no offense to vegans!) no matter what I tried... and now that I'm "allowing" animal products I'm having success. I think I'm finally going to let that old dream die. Years of misery and guilt, then finding something that is working? It's nice. I even started eating chicken again, though I'm still wary of eating too much meat. I'm still afraid of pork, beef, and "healthy" fats and oils but I'm trying. I had salmon for dinner tonight, with my veggies. It was great and I don't feel ravenous. The first night I made salmon, I almost cried because I wanted MORE - I had bought a 4oz filet to try out w/ my dad and it was so good... and then I just had this intense craving for it like an hour later. I've never had a craving like that before. I'm really enjoying my food.

Oh, and apparently I also like brussel sprouts.

Now I think I'm ready to take the health-bull by the horns... it feels like I'm almost there already, rather than sinking in a sea of failures. Can't wait to start the next challenge!

• Like 2

This is awesome! Good for you for branching out and trying new things. I'm so glad you found healthy food you enjoy. Keep up the same attitude, make small changes here and there, and keep moving in the direction you want to go.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27