Forums are back in action! ×

Winter is over, time to prepare for next one

Hi,

I like winter. And snowboarding. But this season was horrible, I coudnt keep my balance in the air nor could I reach all the grabs I used to. Primary suspect is the tire I managed to put on trough last few years. This made me look into healthy lifestyle. And while I was collecting info on paleo diet, this site popped up. So I figured Ill give it a shot. I dont know what to expect and how active Ill be within this, but Ill be at least occasionally lurking here because there is a difference between 

tail grab

417112490_521bacddce.jpg

and 

TAIL GRAB

Tail_Johnny_Oconnor_Back_Fenelon.jpg

and I can do neither in my athletic state right now.

This brings me to my first goal. Eating right. Luckily I can eat whatever. Ill eat saw dust if Im really hungry. But I do appreciate good taste.

But here lays the problem. I need a grocery list. Im pretty undisciplined shopper. So Id like to go shopping once or twice a week for bigger 

purchase (meat, oil, salt, things that last). And more often small trips for eggs, veggies etc. So if anyone have advice what I shouldn't forget Ill be grateful.

for those interested ASL : 25/M/SVK

• Like 1

Welcome, Winterguy! I've never been snowboarding, and I hate cold weather, but I feel your sadness anyway. LOL

I don't know how hard-core paleo you're going, but you should buy shit tons of fresh and/or frozen veggies every time you hit the store (frozen ones are as good as, and sometimes even better than, fresh ones because they're flash-frozen right after they're harvested). Also, grab few fruits if you want, and lots of relatively lean meats. Keep veggies on-hand ALL THE TIME, and have those for snacks. If you cook, fresh herbs are a nice addition, or dried if you want something with a bit more shelf life. Personally, I hate to cook, but that's me. LOL Butter, coconut oil, and olive oil should be your main fat sources (along with the meats), but also have some avocados, which is like food of the gods. =) Batch cooking is good if you always want to have stuff available. Find some recipes you like, double, triple, or quadruple them, and freeze the leftovers in meal-size portions.

Think "whole food." The way it came out of the ground, off the tree, or off the cow. The more that some middle man has done to it (processing, curing, seasoning, whatever) the less "whole" and healthy it is.

So that's my two cents! Good luck to you, and have fun lurking.

=)

Laurie

• Like 1

^^Wot she said. :P 

Another tool that you might find useful is online shopping, it stops you from getting tempted by all the processed crap and the special offers that you didn't even want in the first place (let alone but 2 get a 3rd free).   I have 2 freezers and do a shop about once a month, it's a HELL of a lot cheaper to buy your veggies and meat frozen than fresh, and then there's less wastage too. 

I know a lot of people on here are paleo advocates, but there's also a lot of other thoughts and ideas about diet/nutrition.  Many people on here fallow what's called a primal diet, which allows small amounts of dairy.  Some advocate the Mediterranean diet, some eat grains like brown rice, and others yet, like Waldo, that eat everything going (and yes, they're still healthy.  The trick is to find whatever works best for you. 

There's also growing recognition that cooked legumes (and lets face it, who eats them raw, right?) do not actually contain "toxic" lectins.  They're actually very, very good for you and there's even evidence that our earliest ancestors chowed down on them, so there's no reason to exclude them from your diet.  In my opinion, lol!

Have you read through the articles on the main site?  There's some really good info there, and there's actually a "shopping list" that you can print off (though I'm not sure if it's really much help...).  

There's an expression around here that "you can't outrun your fork", and while that's true diet itself won't do anything to get your fitness back to what it used to be so it would be worth thinking about what you'd like to do to get ready to kill it on the slopes next year. ;) 

• Like 1

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously