Forums are back in action! ×

HI everyone,

I've been a runner for 5 years now and found your site while trying to Google and get some advice.

I injured one of my abdominal muscles pretty bad a week ago. Should have stopped running but pushed threw it and ran a hard set for an hour and really messed myself up. Stupid, I know. I waited a day and then ran and it started to hurt right away so I quit after 5 minutes. I'm now waiting a week before I try again.

The injury is in the front of my abdomen below my belt. It's the muscle you would use to raise your feet from the floor if you were on your back. It only hurts when I run or if I move in a certain way. It's a dull pain at first but was really painful after a while last week.

I haven't been doing any core training at all. Someone suggested planking would help strengthen my core and not aggravate the injury. I tried it last night with some other variations I can't explain but you do on the floor. Today I feel a little sore but nothing you wouldn't feel after a set. What you you guys think?

• Like 1

Hi Orava. I'm just wondering if your abs ever recovered since it's been about two weeks now. I'm sorry no one answered your question... maybe they just didn't know the answer(?), but I feel kinda bad that your post was ignored. Although this is the newbie introduction thread, so maybe that's why no one answered. I dunno!

Frankly, I don't know the answer either, but I'll give you my two common cents, for what it's worth. LOL If it still hurts after this long, you've probably torn it a bit, and it might take longer to heal than if it were just a strain. As far as I know, there's not a lot you can do about that except put heat on it to help with the pain. (Ice helps with inflammation, if you feel that might be an issue, though heat will aggravate inflammation.) I would think resting the muscles would help, though if it still hurts two weeks later, maybe see a doc.

Ya know, in retrospect, I doubt any of this was helpful, and I'm sorry. =( Good luck to you, and I hope you're  back running soon!

=)

Laurie